22 mars 2011, 18h18m
18 fév. 2011, 18h05m
16 avr. 2010, 13h42mThe Gavin Friday and Dave Ball collaboration single 'Ghost Rider' (Alan Vega) is now listed for release in May 2010 on the Blast First Petite website.
Blast First Petite
Jump Cut Time
Like there is No Tomorrow
The Big V calls time
Spooked Sci Fi crooning
Nothing lasts….. for ever
1990 Deuce Avenue album
Mr Friday ( T.G.I.F !!) Sharks swops blade-iswitches to Dave Ball’s Jets
A warp speeding cycle-arama-la-ma-ding-dong
Tom Brinkman’s 2005 steriodal muscle-bound dance floor twitch-out
Digitally body ripped the biggest star made to crash his own party.
Keep it clean, keep it TIGHT.
We spin ON !
Onwards / inwards
Into Vega’s millennial blackhole
Single handedly speed dialing up car radio statics with a jazz break crackle frosting…..
ON! Says V.
Sodium flares reflecting his deadly night shades
Puss On Tha Time Warp
1999 “2007” album
6 avr. 2010, 7h19mRubyworks are delighted to announce the signing of singer, composer and artiste Gavin Friday to the label.
Gavin has been working on songs for a new studio album since 2008; co-writing with Cork based keyboard player Herbie Macken. The pair first collaborated for the Patrick McCabe play 'The Revenant' for the Druid Theatre Company in 2007.
Recording for the new album started last summer in Dublin, with producer Ken Thomas (Sigur Ros, Moby, M83) at the controls. The record was mixed and completed in the UK in earlier this year; and is currently being scheduled for a late summer release. It will be Gavin's first solo album since 1995's 'Shag Tobacco'.
His recent work includes film scores for 'In America' and 'Get Rich Or Die Tryin'. 'Nothing Like The Sun' with Gavin Bryars for the Royal Shakespeare Company, and 'Drifting And Tilting' with Scott Walker at The Barbican. Plus ongoing live and studio collaborations with long time compadre Hal Willner; and the very special "An Evening With Gavin Friday & Friends", a unique event with a stellar line up at Carnegie Hall in 2009.
Gavin is in the process of putting together a new live band with a view to returning to the concert stage later in 2010.
18 mai 2009, 7h39mNatasha Khan’s tom-boyish, goofy performance was alright and the music was solid… but I wasn’t feeling it. I hear so many other artists in her songs and voice, and I’m not sure what makes Khan’s music hers. I kept thinking ‘Sounds like Tori Amos sounding like Kate Bush, not as distinctive’, ‘Sounds like Sinead… not as other wordly’, ‘Gosh, this is very Olwen Fouere.’ (Who?) 'Bit of Bjork, not as mad.' I left before the end of the show.
Ben Christophers played keyboards in the band. I wouldn’t mind seeing him again.
Sat 16 May – Bat for Lashes, Caroline Weeks
23 mars 2009, 15h08mGrace Jones at the Paradiso, Amsterdam, March 19, 2009
She’s 60 years old and her body puts the rest of us to shame. Fashionably late, fabulously wearing a different Philip Treacy hat for every song and - mostly miniscule - threads over her fishnet panty hose. In between songs she’d disappear to the side of the stage, all the while making lewd comments to entertain us: ‘Give me something to suck…’
Ms Grace Jones played a lot of songs from her surprisingly good new album ‘Hurricane’, but she didn’t forget her greatest hits: ‘La Vie En Rose’, ‘Pull Up To The Bumper’ (with on stage audience participation), ‘Nightclubbing’ and of course, ‘Slave to the Rhythm’, which she performed while gyrating a hula hoop.
It was the newer, more personal songs that touched me. The autobiographical ‘Williams Blood’ in particular, in which she channelled her mother talking to her daughter disapprovingly: “Why don’t you be a Jones like your Sister and your brother Noel?” But amazing Grace is blessed with the blood of her musician granddad Williams. She’s “wicked”, she says: “You can’t save a wretch like me…”
She closed the set with ‘Hurricane’ dressed in a flowing black robe, while a wind machine of giant proportions blew us and herself away.
24 fév. 2009, 6h25m
13 oct. 2008, 20h28mGavin Friday and Dave Ball (Soft Cell) have recorded a version of the Suicide song 'Ghost Rider' as part of a 70th Birthday Limited Edition EP tribute series to the Suicide vocalist Alan Vega. The song will be released early 2009 on Blast First Petite. Artists taking part in the tribute are Bruce Springsteen, Grinderman (Nick Cave), Primal Scream and Peaches among others.
Read more about the project on Blast First's website.
1 août 2008, 20h50mMon 28 Jul – Rogue's Gallery
(Ed Harcourt, Baby Gramps, Sandy Dillon, Gavin Friday )
( Jenni Muldaur )
( Martha Wainwright )
See more of my Rogue's Gallery London pictures on Flickr.
Lovely video made by SeeGigFilmPost on YouTube:
1) CAPE COD GIRLS / CROSSBONE SCULLEY - Baby Gramps + Chorus
2) HOG EYE MAN - Martin Carthy + Chorus
3) MY SON JOHN - Tim Robbins + Chorus
4) HAUL AWAY JOE - Teddy Thompson + Chorus
5) BALTIMORE WHORES - Gavin Friday + Eliza Carthy
6) FAREWELL NANCY - Langley Sisters/Ed Harcourt
7) OLE OG - Langley Sisters/Ed Harcourt
8) SAM’S GONE AWAY - Robyn Hitchcock + Chorus
9) LEAVE HER JOHNNY - Sandy Dillon
10) BONNIE PORTMORE - Kami Thompson + violins
11) ROLLING SEA - Eliza Carthy
12) DAN DAN + OBOE DUEL - David Thomas
13) FIRE DOWN BELOW - David Thomas
14) GED A SHEOL MI AIR - Julie Fowlis
15) MINGULAY BOAT SONG - Chris Difford + Kami
16) GOOD SHIP VENUS - Richard Strange
17) LONG TIME AGO - White Magic
18) BLOOD RED ROSES - White Magic + Chorus
19) COAST OF HIGH BARBARY - Neil Hannon
20) TURKISH REVELRY - Neil Hannon + Gita
21) BAY OF BISCAY - Norma + Martin, Eliza
22) SALLY BROWN - Teddy Thompson
23) BULLY IN THE ALLEY - Gavin Friday /Sandy/ Pete?
24) BONEY WAS A WARRIOR - Gavin Friday w/ Shane/Pete?
25) SOUTH AUSTRALIA - Shane McGowan w/Tim/Pete + Chorus
26) HAUL ON THE BOWLINE - Tim Robbins + Chorus
27) THE CRUEL SHIP'S CAPTAIN - Tim Robbins + violins
28) CAROLINE AND HER YOUNG SAILOR - Suzanne Vega + violins
29) LITTLE BOY BILLIE - Ralph Steadman + Chorus
30) ONE SPRING MORNING - Teddy + Kath Williams + violins/BVs
31) ROW THE BOAT CHILD - Jenni Muldaur+ Chorus + violins
32) DRUNKEN SAILOR - David Thomas + Shane + Tymon
33) LOWLANDS LOW - Chris Difford + Gita
34) LOWLANDS AWAY - Martha + violins
35) GREY FUNNEL LINE - Martha
36) NEW YORK GALS / WILD GOOSE - Robyn Hitchcock + Chorus
37) PINERY BOY - Gavin Friday + violins
38) TURAS - Julie Fowlis
39) LIVERPOOL CHANTEY - Shane + Pete Doherty & Tim + Chorus
40) THE MERMAID - Martin
41) THE NIGHTINGALE - Eliza Carthy
42) SHALLOW BROWN - Norma + Chorus
43) OLD MAN OF THE SEA - Baby Gramps
22 jui. 2008, 22h07m