Covers of ye-ye girl songs

• Covers of ye-ye girl songs

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we list all the covers made of ye-ye girls songs.

Obviously, you've got April March's whole Chick Habit/Paris In April releases.

There's a ton of covers of Poupee De Cire, Poupee De Son, which I've been featuring on my site. Some of the better ones are from Nosotrash, Die Moulinettes, Twinkle, Belle & Sebastian, Dubstar, Karina (Spanish 60s singer)... it's endless (I have about 40 and they're driving me crazy).

Baby Birkin - Attends Ou Va-T'ens (France Gall), Jane B (Jane Birkin), Harley Davidson (Bardot) and quite a few more.

Stereo Total - Ex Fan Des Sixties (Jane Birkin), Ach Ach Liebling (Francoise Hardy) and more I can't think of right now.

Vacaciones - Ne Sois Pas Si Bete (France G)

Gina X - Harley Davidson

Moving Pictures - Un Prince Charmant (France G)

OK, that will do for now :)

Would love to hear more. Generally if a band covers this stuff, I like their other stuff too.

• Anybody?
    I'd like to add Heavenly - Nous Ne Sommes Pas Des Anges (France G).

• PollysCake a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 oct. 2005, 17h49m
    Bambou and Lulu performing NE Dis Rien et Manon.
    He has such a beautiful and involving voice.

It's no good pretending that any relationship has a future if your record collections disagree violently or if your favorite films wouldn't even speak to each other if they met at a party.
  • I didn't know about that cover. I'll have to track it down.

• CCivan a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 2 nov. 2005, 21h48m
    Swedish group Raymond & Maria had a cover of Francoise Hardy's Tous les garcons et les filles as a b-side on their first single.
    Quite good I think.

• What style of music are Raymond & Maria?

I finally got to hear the Bambou/Lulu version of 'Ne Dis Rien', and I adore it.

Hanakodo Music Lounge has up a great cover of France Gall's 'Jazz A Gogo' by 60s Quebec girl group Les Miladys.

• CCivan a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 14 déc. 2005, 19h51m
    Sweet swedish guitar pop, they are quite inspired by Belle and Sebastian I think. They had a massive radio hit here in Sweden last summer with "Ingen vill vet var du köpt din tröja". They are really not that special.

• Found a cover of France G's German hit 'Computer Nr 3' by Japanese artist Hi-Posi. Not a great deal like the original... barely recognisable I thought, but still really great.

The Computer No. 3

• I love all of April March's covers normally, but her cover of Chantal Goya's 'Mon Ange Gardien' - I just loathe it. I had to get rid of it after 2 listens, because Chantal's is so perfect, so delicate and amazing. I would have liked it if she'd changed the arrangement more to suit her vocals, they're just not delicate enough for the really lovely bits in this song.
    You know how when you hear a cover that's more dominant, it's all you can hear in the original. I love Kim Gordon, but Free Kitten's version of 'Teenie Weenie Boppie' ruined it for me, I have such trouble listening to France's version now.

• Woodshed1 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 8 jui. 2006, 17h16m
    Best version of Poupee... = Les Sans Culottes.

• Montefiori Cocktail - Comment Te Dire Adieu
    Jimmy Somerville (Featuring June Miles Kingston) - Comment Te Dire Adieu
    Tokyo's Coolest Combo - Comment Te Dire Adieu
    Daniel Darc - Comment Te Dire Adieu
    Belle And Sebastian - Comment Te Dire Adieu
    Les Georges Leningrad - Comment te Dire Adieu
    Jane Birkin - Comment Te Dire Adieu

(Franзoise Hardy Covers) :)

• Loons - Ne Sois Pas Si Bête

This appears on Supermarket, a brilliant Elefant Records compilation from 1998. Check: http://www.elefant.com/en/recopilatorios.php. It's a fantastic version of the France Gall song - very cute!

And, of course, all the various tracks on Great Jewish Music: Serge Gainsbourg. This features covers by people like Ikue Mori, Blonde Redhead, John Zorn and Cibo Matto.

• Turkish Covers

Sylvie Vartan - La Maritza
    Ajda Pekkan - Ay Dogarken

Marie Laforet - Mon Amour, Mon Ami
    Gonul Yazar - Capkin Kiz

Marie Laforet - La Plage
    Ajda Pekkan - Donmem Sana

Patricia Carli - Les mal aimes
    Ajda Pekkan - Ilkokulda Tanismistik

Patricia Carli - Encore Une Fois
    Patricia Carli - Bir gun sana donecegim

Yes, Patricia Carli covered herself in Turkish :) As far as I know she has 2 more Turkish songs, "Seni Andikca" and "Ozlerim Istanbul'u".

And a picture of Ajda Pekkan for your delight:

• yet another one

Sylvie Vartan - Abracadabra
    Ajda Pekkan - Tek Yasanir mi?

• Thanks for the tips everyone, going to hunt some of those down.

Who's listened to Mareva (Galanter)'s Ukuyéyé album? I really like her cover of Stella's 'Pourquoi Pas Moi?', but otherwise find it pretty lacklustre. Her 'Laisse Tomber Les Filles' is the pits.

• franss a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 9 oct. 2006, 22h08m
    Really? I kinda liked Mareva Galanter's album. Maybe it wasn't that surprising or original, but still, some of the arragnements are nice and the total is very nicely balanced. It was one of my summer's favorites. Have ypou checked her scopitones on youTube?

• Yeah, I have and I love the 'Pourquoi Pas Moi' scopitone, but the 'Laisser Tomber' one made me pinpoint what I can't stand about her delivery - her vocal tone matches her bad acting in that clip. France Gall's original is masterful of course, but I'm not just a purist - I love April March's and Fabienne Delsol's cover.

Though I was wrong - her 'Ne Dis Rien' is the pits, such a passionate song rendered heartless.

I only say all this because I adore the originals and for me personally, these are an example of how to zap the life out of them.

I do have different taste, though, to a lot of the French girl fans who love e.g. all the stuff on Filles Sourires. So not to put anyone off whose taste falls more that way - but feel I want to warn anyone who has taste more similar to mine.

The reason I like 'Pourquoi' is it's a modern update with a certain slickness and polish, and it makes good use of Mareva's somewhat cold vocals. But with many of the others, I find the arrangements really mediocre and the instrumnentation lightweight and unsatisfying.

• gesamkunstwerk,

Any suggestions for where to find some of those Turkish covers (especially Patricia Carli's track)?

• Utilisateur
    • 28 oct. 2006, 7h45m
    Link's buggered. Try this.

• Cheers.

The password thing is a little tricky. You have to download a .rar file, extract the notepad file from that and then it's in there. But I couldn't open the notepad file without renaming it.

So message me if you want the password.

• moonlitty,

Seems like you have found a treasure of Ajda Pekkan songs, great! Apart from her ye-ye covers, I strongly recommend 1983 (Superstar III) and 1977 (SUPERSTAR I) albums. And don't even try her full French album, POUR LUI, it's the worst.

Btw, if there are any other turkish covers you want to find (Capkin Kiz or so) please send me a message.

• Utilisateur
    • 30 oct. 2006, 16h05m

Ukuyéyé

Being a fan of the uke and bad puns (and French beauty queens, for that matter), I was excited about this album. I like the more uke-heavy tracks like C'est Bon and Bang Bang. Not so keen on others like Laisse... and 7 Heures du Matin.

I quite like the scopitones - I thought she was intentionally acting badly.

• Utilisateur
    • 6 nov. 2006, 20h33m
    A couple of fairly nutty versions of Poupee...:

• Woah. that second video has one of morning musume as the lead singer and one of HALCALI as one of the backing vocalists. I'm sure I recognise the fatter backing singer too who I think is the drummer in a band.

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.