Which one are you: Vegan or Vegetarian?

• Which one are you: Vegan or Vegetarian?

Tell us whether you are a Vegan or a Vegetarian.

Cos I'm Vegan.

Vegetarians are kind of bullshit people, I guess.

They say, 'Oh, I don't eat meat cos it's from an animal'.....but then they drink milk and eat cheese with eggs....Vegetarians don't make any sense to me!

• [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 9 juin 2009, 2h36m
    Vegetarian. I consume bee pollen and raw honey.

The real bullshit people (like you so elegantly put it) are people who make vegetarianism/veganism a religion or take a moral stance related to it. Veganism is not for everyone. I know plenty of people who tried to go vegan for few years and after adding raw animal products to their diet their health skyrocketed. It is not as black and white as many vegans want to make it to be and there is way too much dogma associated with veganism. My take on it is do the best you can, eat consciously, be informed and listen to your body.

• Utilisateur
    • 9 juin 2009, 4h30m
    Currently vegetarian, but I will be making the switch to vegan when I move out of home. The only animal product that I have is egg, when my mother puts it in things.

• Utilisateur
    • 9 juin 2009, 16h41m
    I am so called Lactovegetarian.

I am only eating milk and it's products, but trying to avoid them as well.

• Vegan.

• Utilisateur
    • 10 juin 2009, 2h43m
    VeganCaliban51 said:
    The real bullshit people (like you so elegantly put it) are people who make vegetarianism/veganism a religion or take a moral stance related to it.
    People criticize passion in general because they lack passion for anything worth defending. Moral convictions are bullshit? You're arguing for moral relativism, which is way too fail for me to even get into right now. Maybe, later I'll clue you in, if you still haven't learned.Caliban51 said:
    I know plenty of people who tried to go vegan for few years and after adding raw animal products to their diet their health skyrocketed. It is not as black and white as many vegans want to make it to be and there is way too much dogma associated with veganism. My take on it is do the best you can, eat consciously, be informed and listen to your body.
    These points are invalid to anyone who maintains a moral stance against murder, slavery, and cruelty, which is most vegans, so you wasted time typing this section. it exists only as a shining, oversized target to be shot down by simple logic. :/

• vegetarian, will be vegan soon.

• Re: Which one are you: Vegan or Vegetarian?

sameoldscene said:

Cos I'm Vegan.

They say, 'Oh, I don't eat meat cos it's from an animal'.....but then they drink milk and eat cheese with eggs....Vegetarians don't make any sense to me!

Alright, you just destroyed a perfectly good post by alienating half of this group. Why would you ask who's vegetarian if you're just going to insult them/put them down?

• Utilisateur
    • 10 juin 2009, 20h47m

Re: Re: Which one are you: Vegan or Vegetarian?

QuarterNote said:
    sameoldscene said:

Cos I'm Vegan.

Alright, you just destroyed a perfectly good post by alienating half of this group. Why would you ask who's vegetarian if you're just going to insult them/put them down?

I have to agree. I'm clearly a militant vegan, but I try not to START OFF on a really hostile note. :/

That said, perhaps sameoldscene intended to make a point. Agitation can work wonders. Might also just be expression.

• Re: Re: Re: Which one are you: Vegan or Vegetarian?

xSANJITx said:
    QuarterNote said:
    sameoldscene said:

Cos I'm Vegan.

I have to agree. I'm clearly a militant vegan, but I try not to START OFF on a really hostile note. :/

That said, perhaps sameoldscene intended to make a point. Agitation can work wonders. Might also just be expression.

It was just an expression so sorry if it offended anyone.

The point I was trying to make is that Vegetarians contradict themselves.

We are not meant to eat any animal products at all anyway. Watch this video for further evidence:

Do it properly. Go Vegan!

• Utilisateur
    • 11 juin 2009, 16h42m
    Okay, I'm one of those bullshit people that you were talking about. I've been vegetarian for about 8 years, I'd like to work on becoming vegan.

• xabigorex a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 11 juin 2009, 18h44m
    Vegan. Although I just found out popping candy has lactose in it, what a bummer.

That's almost reason enough to chuck it all in ;)

J/K

• Vegetarian :)

• NeonOrange a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 12 juin 2009, 15h44m
    Vegetarin, too. Drinking milk and eating cheese doesn't kill animals, when you take the right ones.
    So for me its not bullshit :)

• WLDB a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 12 juin 2009, 17h05m
    I'm a bullshit person. :)

I don't contradict myself. I am doing what I believe to be right for me. If that is bullshit I can live with that.

-Wes
  • I'm bullshit too...

Still vegetarians are doing seriously much more to stop mistreating of the animals, than most people. We actually do care. And if you buy ecological milk and eggs, the animals haven't been mistreated <3

• qwertyyyyy a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 12 juin 2009, 22h51m
    i'm trying to go vegan. like i don't eat any dairy/egg products i can see.

by that i mean, if dairy/egg products are on the ingredients' list, i won't eat it.

but if my all-bran cereal happens to have vitamin D that, during the extraction process, was somehow connected to an animal, i'm not totally going to boycott that product

because then there's nothing left to eat :(

so i don't know if i qualify as a full-out vegan, but i'm trying.

• Utilisateur
    • 13 juin 2009, 1h53m

Re: I'm bullshit too...

NeonOrange said:
    Vegetarin, too. Drinking milk and eating cheese doesn't kill animals, when you take the right ones.
    So for me its not bullshit :)
    For once, I'm gonna skip the sarcasm and get right to the point. Males don't produce milk. What good are they to dairy farmers but beef? Female cows stop producing at around 5 years old. What good are they to dairy farmers but beef? Most importantly, since when is slavery morally acceptable?
    WLDB said:
    I'm a bullshit person. :)

I don't contradict myself. I am doing what I believe to be right for me. If that is bullshit I can live with that.
    In which case, you're no more of a hypocrit than a Neo-Nazi who harasses and kills Jewish people. I mean, you haven't CLAIMED to make morally sound dietary choices, and indeed you don't make them. There ya go, I guess. Hooray for self-centered "moral" reasoning. :/InDarknessLies said:
    Still vegetarians are doing seriously much more to stop mistreating of the animals, than most people. We actually do care. And if you buy ecological milk and eggs, the animals haven't been mistreated <3
    ....First off, says who? They slap a label or some possibly contrived story on the carton and you just believe them? You must be a liberal. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure enslavement counts as mistreatment. Finally, you do more than bloodmouths, but vegans do much more than you. You are still an issue. You have not "done enough". <3qwertyyyyy said:
    i'm trying to go vegan. like i don't eat any dairy/egg products i can see.

by that i mean, if dairy/egg products are on the ingredients' list, i won't eat it.

but if my all-bran cereal happens to have vitamin D that, during the extraction process, was somehow connected to an animal, I'm not totally going to boycott that product

because then there's nothing left to eat :(

so i don't know if i qualify as a full-out vegan, but i'm trying.
    ...What are your circumstances? You can't...umm...get OTHER cereal with vitamin D? :/

• Utilisateur
    • 13 juin 2009, 13h43m
    ...What are your circumstances? You can't...umm...get OTHER cereal with vitamin D? :/

as far as i know, vitamin D is always animal derived.

and this is just one example. pretty much all western medicine is tested on animals. all coffee, and peanut butter, and cocoa have a small percentage of insects mixed into it.

it's unfortunate, but our society was built for omnivores. and i'm all for helping animals, but i don't want to sacrifice my health while i'm at it.

some things just can't be helped.

• Utilisateur
    • 13 juin 2009, 15h51m
    I thought that sunlight is can also be a source of vitamin D, but I do agree with you on 'omnivorous society' bit.

And by the way, I'm a (lactose-intolerant) vegetarian.

• Selectively vegan in that I continue to eat fish, but I approach it from the standpoint concerning health rather than animal welfare. I live with my parents, so permitting fish in my diet makes family meals A LOT easier to orchestrate, things like that, sometimes there's some dairy or egg in what I'm eating but I plan on phasing that all out once I'm out on my own.

• Utilisateur
    • 13 juin 2009, 23h42m
    I thought that sunlight is can also be a source of vitamin D, but I do agree with you on 'omnivorous society' bit.

well it is
    but it can't be your only source, because to get the amount that you would need strictly from sunlight, you'd be exposing yourself to too much sun which can cause cancer.

so. i don't know. maybe vitamin D wasn't the best example.
    but it's the first that came to mind.

• qwertyyyyy said:
    and this is just one example. pretty much all western medicine is tested on animals. all coffee, and peanut butter, and cocoa have a small percentage of insects mixed into it.

it's unfortunate, but our society was built for omnivores. and i'm all for helping animals, but i don't want to sacrifice my health while i'm at it.

some things just can't be helped.

That whole "oh everything is made for omnivores and you can't be totally vegan" argument just seems a bit of a lame excuse to me. If you care, you do as much as you can. And you don't need to sacrifice your health at all; there are plenty of healthy vegans around.

• Utilisateur
    • 14 juin 2009, 18h25m
    Although I support your 'make an effort' attitude, I do not completely agree. Doing as much as you can could be given shape by being a vegetarian.
    And frankly I'm amazed at the hostility of vegans towards vegetarians, it seems more logic to consider each other as brethren instead of foes, really, ask Nabokov, life's just too damn short :)

• Modifié par InDarknessLies le 15 juin 2009, 20h18m
Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.