Can you think of any?

These may be British...

Epic45

...or otherwise...

A Sunny Day in Glasgow

• Gman1969 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 avr. 2009, 17h13m
    The Books, possibly? -At least with their "Lost and Safe" album anyway.

• nickwatt a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 25 avr. 2009, 18h06m
    Two bands that fit into the UK Post-Rock category...

Vessels (http://www.myspace.com/vesselsband) are a really good British band who I think are from Leeds, their album White Fields & Open Devices is worth checking out and there's a remix EP thing called Retreat with some great tracks on it.

The FM Flash are a new band from London and have an EP out on iTunes that fans of Godspeed/Mogwai will like (http://www.myspace.com/thefmflash).

You all must check out Epic 45, I've got 5 albums and the 8 track Drakelow EP and all are fantastic (http://www.epic45.com/main.php). They are from Stafforshire and their first album proper 'Reckless Engineers' was released in 2002 on Canadian label Where Are My Records

The Books are great but are from New York so don't really count, sadly!

And A Sunny Day In Glasgow are from Philadelphia, so no points on that one either!

Man In A Shed
  • Thanks for the suggestions!

Excellent work. I'll definitely look into these bands.

I should point out that, when I said "or otherwise", I meant this thread wouldn't be limited to British artists. I'm just looking for contemporary post-rock bands in the same eclectic/experimental spirit as Disco Inferno, Bark Psychosis etc. I don't mind where they actually come from.

• Utilisateur
    • 25 avr. 2009, 20h20m
    Memory Drawings by The Drift http://www.thedriftmusic.com/

Man In A Shed
    • Utilisateur
    • 10 mai 2009, 10h30m
    Glad you recommended Epic45. It wasn't easy getting hold of their CDs but well worth it.

• [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 27 mai 2009, 18h11m

:-)

Epic 45 is a real hoot to toot thanks for the 411. Anyway to get them on Lp?

• Utilisateur
    • 28 mai 2009, 9h42m

Re: :-)

THee-BeAtNiK escribió:
    Epic 45 is a real hoot to toot thanks for the 411. Anyway to get them on Lp?

The distribution for Make Mine Music label is being made by Norman Records since December 2008. So I would suggest you check Norman's website for that.

I believe that Darla in the States might have something as well?, as they do the distribution for Piano Magic.

• Utilisateur
    • 28 mai 2009, 17h53m
    I managed to get most of their CDs via Norman Records the other week but there didn't seem to be any on vinyl.

• Utilisateur
    • 28 mai 2009, 20h07m
    Are we all such a bunch of purists or just a bit forgetful - but has anyone mentioned Radiohead?

Man In A Shed
    • Utilisateur
    • 28 mai 2009, 20h09m
    Just noticed that Radiohead are the second most listened to by the group and I should have read the posts on the groups home page...oh well at least I'm not the only one

Man In A Shed
  • I'd give Bibio a mention, perhaps.
    www.last.fm/music/Bibio

July Skies, too.
    http://www.last.fm/music/July%20Skies

West Midlands, represent!

• Just heard a track by Nudge (an American band featuring members of Strategy and JOMF) which - to these ears - has many of the hallmarks of classic UKPR.

Listen!

http://thedecibeltolls.com/nudge-as-good-as-gone/

• Utilisateur
    • 14 jui. 2009, 0h54m

Thanks for the 411 peeps!

• Just got back from seeing Indian Jewelry and they sounded exactly - EXACTLY - like Terminal Cheesecake. Is it my imagination or is the US indie underground coming to some of the same conclusions that its British equivalent reached 15 years ago? If so, where is the American Disco Inferno?

• Utilisateur
    • 16 jui. 2009, 4h49m

Good point.. most likely playing at gigs that no one knows about.

• i'd say that my band's in the spirit of early uk post-rock in that we recontextualise rock music tropes. check out our new e.p. http://www.last.fm/music/cozimnot!/Another+Hard+Day+In+The+Jungle

• Utilisateur
    • 20 jui. 2009, 21h27m
    Pacific UV's sound falls among some of the UK post rock that I have listened to...much of it could be categorized with the generic rest of what is referred to as post rock today, but they have a few tracks that are different sounding.

• Utilisateur
    • 2 août 2009, 10h11m

• Utilisateur
    • 3 août 2009, 19h23m
    Gman1969 said:
    I managed to get most of their CDs via Norman Records the other week but there didn't seem to be any on vinyl.

Epic45 have released a few 7" singles, but to date, their albums have been CD only. A new CD mini-album "In All The Empty Houses" is available now for pre-order on Norman Records - here -

• Richard Youngs come from a different strand of UK avant rock than the one that spawned post-rock. Still, there's something about his recent CDR Beyond the Valley of Ultrahits that reminds me of the poppier side of UKPR - Experimental Pop Band, say. Take a listen.

http://killedincars.blogspot.com/2009/06/richard-youngs-beyond-valley-of.html

• the american Disco Inferno you ask?

I'd put my money on Gang Gang Dance, by all means. If you're familiar with the band's entire arc, as I am, you're probably at least nodding somewhat in agreeance already. They don't sound the same - but that's exactly the point. DI sounded like nothing before, and forged ahead, inventing their own way and continually evolving as they went along. At this point GGD has done the same. I just hope for no missteps like Technicolor. And of course, for no sudden combustion of said band.

anyway, if anyone wants specific reasons I'll be back. I've got a bowl of kimchi staring at me and I'm ravenous.

• Yeah, Gang Gang Dance are definitely relevant to this thread for their eclecticism and particular attachment to electronic dance music. And they're certainly similar to DI in their copious use of MIDI guitar (seeing GGD live, I was amazed by how many of the "electronic" sounds were actually coming from the guitarist's big rack of samplers).

But for me, they've yet to prove themselves to have the real visionary fire that fuelled DI. I mean, DI had this kind of post-Cageian idea that any sound in the world could be used to create a pop song. I don't think anyone has really taken that idea and run with it yet. If they have, I haven't heard them yet.

• franella a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 22 août 2009, 12h54m
    Laymar are incredible. They're from manchester and I saw them supporting The Twilight Sad. I must saw they are definately one of the best bands I've ever seen!! Probably see them gigging alot around manchester as one the band, I believe, puts on post-rock/alternative nights every now and then as Wot God Forgot

• You've gotta hear more GGD Samuel! I know it won't put them in the league of DI for you, but they have a much wider range than at least your library shows you've experienced. If I'm wrong, ignore this comment. Otherwise do try to hear God's Money (in particular Egowar) and perhaps the self-titled or Retina Riddim, both of which are on my blog.. but I can send you my copy of GM.

Anyway I must say that whatever The Twilight Sad are considered, I like them. I hadn't listened to them in over a year when my friend put the cd in while we drove a couple weeks ago - instantly back into "oh yes i know this song, and this one too!" mode. I like the singer's thick brogue for one thing, which is rare.. but they seem like they'd be a powerful live act.

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.