What Tom Waits song(s) do you like best lyrically?

• Bonzopride a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 30 sept. 2009, 14h23m

Kommeniezuspadt ;-)

• [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 oct. 2009, 21h37m
    jockey full of bourbon- pure decadence
    all the world is green
    tango 'till they're sore
    singapore
    grapefruit moon

• VonSamuel a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 31 oct. 2009, 7h56m
    Recently it's been Bottom of the World. It varies though.

• Somehow, Step Right Up still gets me to laugh my ass off, maybe because I think I own what his character is selling! So, that's my favorite, I think.

• Yeah Step Right Up never fails to make me grin. The talky stuff is all great, 9th & Hennepin is particularly poetic. So is Nirvana

Heartattack & Vine and Mr Siegal have some awesome imagery. As does half of Nighthawks.

Emotional Wether Report would be a career high for anyone else.

The Fukkest Uppest
    • Utilisateur
    • 8 nov. 2009, 1h45m

Too many to name in any sort of official way!

But just a few...

Every line from Watch Her Disapper, Alice, All The World Is Green and I'm Still Here (especially "Someone turn the lights back off. I'll love you 'till all time is gone")

"Fill your pockets up with earth, get yourself a dollars worth" "In the land of blind the one-eyed man is king. So take this ring." from Singapore.

"There's always some killing you've got to do around the farm." from Murder In The Red Barn.

"There's a leak, there's a leak in the boiler room." from God's Away On Business.

"You'll soon forget the tune that you play. For that is the part you throw away" from The Part You Throw Away.

"The bees will find their honey. The sweetest every time" from Another Man's Vine.

And again, everything from The Ocean Doesn't Want Me.

Oh Tom, why are you so great?

• El_Grml a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 11 nov. 2009, 15h07m
    As it's already been said too much that you can't number the number of enormous lyrics by Mr. Tom Waits (is that what makes a real good poet?), I like "Reeperbahn" and "On the Nickel" most. And "Frank's wild years". And "Telephone call from Istanbul".

Ah ... forgot "Martha". Bad memories and stuff. What most people connects to Tom Waits.

• My iPod gave me Clap Hands followed by The Pontiac while driving today. You just don't get better range, delivery or imagery than that.

The Fukkest Uppest
    • Utilisateur
    • 13 nov. 2009, 6h00m
    I'll Be Gone and Reeperbahn are both incredibly poetic and beautiful lyrically. Aside from the fact that they're depressing as all get up. HAHA!

• Utilisateur
    • 13 nov. 2009, 23h32m
    "Alice"

• Utilisateur
    • 22 nov. 2009, 17h18m
    top of the hill

Modifié par un utilisateur supprimé le 28 avr. 2010, 11h04m
  • Gun Street Girl

I remember hearing that for the second time and realized what an amazing story was being told. Plus it's got such a great distinct feel about it and really represents what a fantastic storyteller the man really is.

• I guess like em all but here are some of my favorite lines...

"I don't got a drinking problem unless I can't get a drink"

"Don't you know there ain't no devil there's just God when he's drunk. Yeah this stuff'll probably kill ya, lets do another line"

"Never could stand that dog..."

"When I turn to look at you, you light a cigarette. Wish I had the guts to bum one but we've never met"

"Seems like folks turn into things that they never want. The only thing to live for is today"

These are only a few of the ones I could immediately think of. I like so many of his lyrics that I'm leaving out way too many to mention here...

• filmonline a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 26 avr. 2010, 15h09m
    Alice

• Megantron a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 28 avr. 2010, 19h22m
    Murder in The Red Barn

I wish they could base loads of films on Tom Waits songs. That would be tasty

• RaineyWins a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 29 avr. 2010, 18h41m
    I Hope That I don't Fall In Love With You, Falling Down, and for bizzareness What's He Building In There?

• Telephone call from Istanbul
    starving in the belly of a whale
    misery's the river of the world
    anywhere I lay my head
    everything goes to hell

• rjenks a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 9 mai 2010, 22h56m
    My favourite Tom Waits songs lyrically are 'Who Are You?', 'Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis' and 'Lucky Day' probably.

I cross my wooden leg and I swear on my glass eye...
  • Time

they all pretend they're orphans, and their memory's like a train
    you can see it getting smaller as it pulls away
    and the things we can't remember tell the things we can't forget
    that history puts a saint in every dream

• Melnupe a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 9 juin 2010, 20h13m
    Mr. Siegal.

"I spend all my money now in a Mexican whorehouse across the street from a Catholic church."

• Impossible to say.

But "I'll Never Let Go Of Your Hand" has made me weep for personal reasons.
    Lyrics

• Megantron a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 1 jui. 2010, 11h40m
    I love "Murder in the Red Barn" and basically everything on Bone Machine. That album is badass

• efiut a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 6 jui. 2010, 10h38m
    Well, focusing on lyrics...
    It's impossible to choose few favourite, so here you are rather randomly selected of these which I like most -

Black Wings
    Yesterday is here
    Hoist that Rag
    Starving in the Belly of a Whale

and "Road to Peace". Great comment to Israeli-Palestinian conflict with great point 'maybe God himself is lost and needs help
    maybe God himself he needs all of our help
    and he's lost upon the road to peace'

• Utilisateur
    • 14 jui. 2010, 17h39m
    Alice, hands down.

• No doubt: Fish & Bird!

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.