in a 4x4 across salar de uyuni

• jryall a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 2 déc. 2007, 21h19m

in a 4x4 across salar de uyuni

i travelled through south america after uni in 2002 and by far the coolest and scariest experince was going in a 4x4 across the ssalar de uyuni - a salt desert - in southern bolivia.
    there were no roads just tracks and as far yourt eye could see was salt to a perfect horizon and then a perfect blue sky with not a cloud in the sky. i was cramped in the 4x4 with my travelling buddy rachel and the mandatory isralies wed picked up on the way. we stopped at geysers, checked out flamingos, slept in gues houses along the way, and played shithead like fiends.
    we had gotten a cheap deal which effectively meant a rubbish 4x4 that kept getting stuck and we had to keep getting out to push it free.
    after 3 days we were tired hungry and exhausted and were heading back and came to this river that we needed to cross. it was about 50 meters wide, there no bridge but our driver had said that if we got there before the tide came in we'd still be ok to cross.
    we were of course late and the tide was coming in and the river swelling by the minute. he was telling us we needed to stop and camp by the riverbank, i was like no way! i couldnt do it. the dudes were getting on my nerves, i was dying for a shower and some proper food.i tried asking if there was any way we could try crossing anyway.
    we all agreed to give it ago - we literlly had about a minute to decide so we jumped back in the car and started driving slowly across the car going up and down as we went over boulders in the river. water was gushing at the side and as we came further and further in, there was water all the way up the door and it was starting to come it. the driver was praying, we were all praying cus and we were so scared wed get stuck and i had this image of us getting trapped and having to climb on to the roof and having to be airlifted out - not that i think they had anyhelicopters in the vicinity. i only know one prayer but i kept repeating it over and over with my hands over my eyes peering through my fingers from time to time.
    what seemed like a lifetime was over in probably less than a minute, and yes we totally made it across.
    thats my little tale from south america!

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.