Nationality statistics

• xhochy a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 12 avr. 2009, 7h01m

Nationality statistics

Hey ;)

I made a new mashup displaying you from which countries one listens the most music. The result is also available as a Chart which you could add to your Last.fm-profile. I'm using for the country classification the tags assigned to an artist on Last.fm and if this doesn't suffisfy I'm querying Freebase to detect the correct nation. Hope you have fun with it and I would be happy about some feedback.

The link: Nationality statistics

• Great tool! I like the playcount chart, but I kind of miss the percentages the original put out.

• [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 12 avr. 2009, 18h57m

Many mistakes

Great tool because 'Last.fm nations doesn't work, but there is so many wrong country-results. 90% of my music "Unknown", music from Czech is "German"...

• Utilisateur
    • 12 avr. 2009, 19h05m

Unknown

Yes, as it is a fresh piece of software sometimes it does not recognize some countries, the problem on my side could be that my tag->country map is not filled enough, but there could be also some artists classified as Unknown if they do not have the matchings tags in Last.fm and are not listed in Freebase, I just try with your name and try to get the faults fixed ;)

• Utilisateur
    • 12 avr. 2009, 19h16m

Unknown artists with non-ASCII characters

I'm very sorry but there is this one annoying problem: I'm using the Ruby Scrobbler library and it only supports artists with ASCII character as it uses the 1.0 Last.fm API, but I'm working on converting the library to the 2.0 Last.fm API

• snyde1 a dit :...
    • Abonné
    • 12 avr. 2009, 20h20m
    Interesting. Nice project, and it seems to get most of my bands correctly. There are a couple of problems: Split Enz is from New Zealand, not Australia; The Vapors is from the UK (aka "England") not from Japan; and mutliple artists with the same name of course can't resolve correctly. (E.g Toronto appears as Polish, not Canadian.)

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    • Utilisateur
    • 12 avr. 2009, 20h39m
    Ok, just saw that I forgot to add New Zealand as a country, now Split Enz is recognised correctly, but as The Vapors are more often tagged as japanese as as english, they are considered as Japan. Yes, they are tagged as british too, but I want to divide the UK into England, Wales, Scotland, ... so british would not be meaningful to classify a band as being from a specific country^^

• [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 12 avr. 2009, 21h05m

thanks

now 90% is correct
    still problem with:
    La Babosa Azul - cuban not spanish
    Hanna Banaszak i Mirosław Czyżykiewicz -polish
    5'nizza -ukrainian not russian
    Jacek Zwoźniak - polish
    Kazimierz Grześkowiak - polish
    Piotr Machalica - polish

Really thanks for personal help, now your 'gadget' is worth to show on my profile.

• Somehow I didn't catch this, but Boa and 이효리 are from South Korea, not Japan.

The Vapors are probably only tagged as Japanese because of that darn Turning Japanese song...

• hey... it's a really nice alternative to last.fm nations.. :)

the prob with the API's would explain all my unknown artists and wrong nations:

Blank & Jones are german, not italian
    Lexy & K. Paul are german too, not japanese

on last.fm both are tagged in the right way. Is in this cases the nation taken from freebase?

Another point is the pie-chart.. it's a bit too small and no percentage-information.
    A bigger pie-chart and percents would make me (and for sure other people too) happy :)

• snyde1 a dit :...
    • Abonné
    • 13 avr. 2009, 0h50m
    SeedSnatcher said:
    The Vapors are probably only tagged as Japanese because of that darn Turning Japanese song...
    Yep. There is no Japanese band with that name, as far as I know.

xhochy said:
    I want to divide the UK into England, Wales, Scotland, ... so british would not be meaningful to classify a band as being from a specific country
    Well, you may want to class it as English then. That also appears in the tags. Using the contributed tags is not always the best method of getting information.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    • Utilisateur
    • 13 avr. 2009, 7h04m
    snyde1 said:

xhochy said:
    I want to divide the UK into England, Wales, Scotland, ... so british would not be meaningful to classify a band as being from a specific country
    Well, you may want to class it as English then. That also appears in the tags. Using the contributed tags is not always the best method of getting information.

No, I already tested this but then a lot of artists from Scotland & Co. will be become England too, so I just ignore this tag, as it would generate more false than true Englands.

• So you actually put the country for some bands there manually?
    My problems are:

Mostly Autumn - England (not Ireland)
    Cathis Ord - England (Unknown)

That's about it for me.

• Utilisateur
    • 13 avr. 2009, 9h56m
    WinterWanderer sagte:
    So you actually put the country for some bands there manually?

No, the only thing I do if a band's country is unknown is checking its top tags for indicating their nationality which I might have not yet included in my list.

• Katakura Mikiya is Japanese. Shows up as unknown right now.

• Utilisateur
    • 13 avr. 2009, 19h10m
    SeedSnatcher sagte:
    Katakura Mikiya is Japanese. Shows up as unknown right now.

Tag it as japanese please but as Last.fm suggests a band with Japanese letter, might this be the one you refer to?

• Yes, but for some reason, Romanized 'Katakura Mikiya' shows up as having 86 plays in your tool... Still shows 片倉三起也 with 366 players though.

Boa and 이효리 still show up as Japanese when they're Korean. BoA does sing in Japanese as well, but 이효리 doesn't...

• Utilisateur
    • 13 avr. 2009, 20h43m
    SeedSnatcher said:
    Yes, but for some reason, Romanized 'Katakura Mikiya' shows up as having 86 plays in your tool... Still shows 片倉三起也 with 366 players though.

Yes, because Last.fm believes that they are two different bands

SeedSnatcher said:
    Boa and 이효리 still show up as Japanese when they're Korean. BoA does sing in Japanese as well, but 이효리 doesn't...

Both are tagged as korean but I am still think if I should really say
    "If tagged as korean, it is South Korea", saying they come from Korea without specifying if North or South may be another option, but I am quite unsure about this at the moment

• xhochy said:
    Yes, because Last.fm believes that they are two different bands

Last.fm autocorrects it, so I'm not sure why it's showing up at all.
    xhochy said:
    Both are tagged as korean but I am still think if I should really say
    "If tagged as korean, it is South Korea", saying they come from Korea without specifying if North or South may be another option, but I am quite unsure about this at the moment

Well, your tool does say 'England' rather than 'English' or 'United States' instead of 'American', so having 'South Korea' and 'North Korea' would work for me.

However, if your tool only works automatically, I'm not quite sure what to do either. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the North Korean government blocked Last.fm, which would answer the question easily.

Oh, and Tata Young is counted as Japanese, but she's Thai.

Having trouble with Asian countries? ;)

• Utilisateur
    • 17 avr. 2009, 7h14m
    SeedSnatcher said:
    Oh, and Tata Young is counted as Japanese, but she's Thai.

Fixed ;)

SeedSnatcher said:
    Having trouble with Asian countries? ;)

A little bit, but as more are reported as more are correctly detected, at the moment I have not really integrated a lot of tag=>country mappings for Asian countries.

• Pedro29 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 18 avr. 2009, 16h38m
    Hi there! Tks for all the work, still many portuguese bands he doesn't recognize...
    There should be a way we could correct the unknown manually otherwise my chart is mostly unknown country!

Here some corrections:

José AfonsoUnknown
    Xutos & PontapésUnknown
    Ena Pá 2000Unknown
    Mata-RatosUnknown
    José CidUnknown
    MarizaUnknown
    MadredeusUnknown
    Pop Dell'ArteUnknown
    Irmãos CatitaUnknown
    Bizarra LocomotivaUnknown
    Ornatos VioletaUnknown

The above are all portuguese...

Demons & WizardsUnknown -> German

Alexandre PiresNOT Spain -> Brazilian

ShylockFrance -> German (in fact there's 2 different Shylock :( )

Carlos ParedesNOT Brazil -> Portuguese!!!

• brtkrbzhnv a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 19 avr. 2009, 5h20m
    It says Japan for 王菲 though her top tag is .

Also: some text gets cut off:

last.fm#DIV(class=messageSig)
  • Re: Unknown artists with non-ASCII characters

xhochy sagte:
    I'm very sorry but there is this one annoying problem: I'm using the Ruby Scrobbler library and it only supports artists with ASCII character as it uses the 1.0 Last.fm API, but I'm working on converting the library to the 2.0 Last.fm API

Did you already solve this prob?
    I have 4 wrong artists and I'm thinking it's exactly because of this problem otherwise please correct them (if you can):

De/VisionUnknown
    Jam & SpoonUnknown
    Lexy & K. PaulJapan
    Blank & JonesItaly

The're all from Germany und are tagged as "german" or something like that :)

• Utilisateur
    • 19 avr. 2009, 19h30m
    Every artist named unknown or false is now detected corrrectly ;)

Released a new algorith today, makes better results ;)

• yay! thanks :)

now the chart looks much better... unknown is nowhere and all artists (in my case) are now correct so far i can see it... fine! great job! :D

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.