Recommend some insteresting music from your country/area

• Recommend some insteresting music from your country/area

Hello all, i'm new to the "sophisticated taste" group, but i hope that we could together make something good. I see most groups are usually pretty much worthless, so with a little help from you i hope that this thread could make this group a little bit better.

Most people know the music from their region better than they know foreign music. So i'd like from you to write a little bit about music that comes from your region, but only music that's not well known to the rest of the world, with a few youtube music links and maybe a small description.

My example:

I'm from greece, there aren't many greek artists that have managed to become well know outside of greece. I will not write about rembetica, because it's a difficult and long subject.

Savina Yannatou plays traditional music (not only greek), she has a great voice.

Savina Yannatou & Primavera en Salonico - Sareri Hovin Mernem, To giasemi.

Kristi Stassinopoulou has made a lovely mix of traditional greek music and electronica.
    [
    Kristi Stassinopoulou - Patithraki , The Secrets Of The Rocks , The Secrets Of The Rocks , We are flying.

Vassilis Tsabropoulos is one of the two greek artists that are signed on ecm label, he's a great pianist and composer.

Vassilis Tsabropoulos - Promenade , Dances , Duduki.

A small record shop in the center of athens "Vinyl Microstore" has been organizing lot's of live performances in the area and also has made a few lovely record releases. One of them is "try a little sunshine", a cool collection of rare tracks from the greek indie-pop scene: Impossible Tymes, one Night Suzan, Next Time Passions, The Jaywalkers, Raining Pleasure, Groove Machine, Sound Devise, The Mute,Starblind,Protest March etc.

Here's some tracks:
    One night suzan - Is it true?
    Jaywalkers - You can't be happy all the time
    Next Time Passions - Not Here Anymore

Also, there's great interest in (very) old greek rock tunes, for example the "pop festival 73" collection:

Petalouda - What you can do in your life.

Nirvana - the coward.

Prwtogonoi - mania katadiwksews.

Tharsein xrei - rainy day.

Part of an article published with the Wire...

...down a small road close to the end of the market on Tsimiski Street, on the first floor of a multi-storey building, a venue called Protos Orofos (transl. First Floor) stages music events, many of them experimental. In February it played host to Mohammad, a trio consisting of improvising cellist Nikos Veliotis, composer and sound engineer Coti K, and Ilios, an artist operating at the extremes of sound and image. Mohammad explore the philosophical trend of ‘Kullu Wahad’, which in Arabic means ‘all one’, though in Greek jargon it is commonly used to describe a messy situation. However, in performance the Arabic definition comes closer to describing their work. The trio started with a haunting, echoing noise and a long sustained tone that created multiple reverbs in the room. The continuous low humming sound provided a vivid sound texture penetrating not only the whole space in Protos Orofos but also the organs of everyone in it, in effect creating an ‘all one’ – a Kullu Wahad.
    This is not the first time Coti K and Nikos Veliotis have collaborated. As Texturizer, the duo have released two albums – their first album Texturizer, and 7 (reviewed in The Wire 274), both released on the Athens based Antifrost label. But Coti K and Ilios have also worked together in the past in another project, Harmonium Sisso Orchestra, alongside third member Xabier Erkizia – a project that involves three harmoniums connected to laptops, providing a rich spectrum of drones through their instruments.
    Protos Orofos is not a music scene. During the day it functions as a graphic design studio. In the evening live events, you can find yourself surrounded by flyers, leaflets and pamphlets, with books about graphics and visual effects lining the shelves. Asking Sotiris Gekas, one of the people who run Protos Orofos, why he and his colleagues are providing their working space to host such events, he simply says that “there is an absence of formal venues in Thessaloniki for artists involved in experimental music to perform and promote their work. So this is what Protos Orofos tries to do.

In the simple web-site of "protos orofos" there's a lovely, free compilation of experimental music that's passed from it's shop, which can be found on the following link: http://www.protosorofos.gr/protos_orofos.zip

Last but not least, Thanasis Papakonstantinou has mixed traditional greek music with rock.

Thanasis Papakostanstinou
    - pexlibanhs , Oi treis anthoi.

Thank you, and i hope some of you will spend some time to write about some beautiful music that comes from your region.

• pettena a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 29 jui. 2010, 19h22m
    Nice job

I'll listen to your recomendations,

I love to get new artists of other countries

And greek artist, by the way, I have only one: Iannis Xenakis.

Greetings from Brazil !

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.