How to write a good "real" journal entry ?

• [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 5 août 2006, 18h16m

How to write a good "real" journal entry ?

well the title is the question.

I have no problems writing answer to threads, even have created a few with great success.

But how does one write a good journal entry ?

What does a journal entry need to get the right flavor?

help would be appreciated

• jeej a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 8 août 2006, 2h28m
    It needs to be informative and to a certain extent... witty. I reckon anyway.

You have to remember a few things though...

Last.fm is essentially a music website, so people wont necessarily care what you had for dinner or where you are going for your vacation.

Give the journal entry some substance, don't just say "Joe Bloggs has a new album out and it's crap!", people will be more interested to know why you thought the album was crap.

I guess really, just take into consideration what other people may see in your journal entry. Most people on the internet are stangers to each other, so they wont hold any immediate compassion or relation to you. Tell them what you think they'd appreciate hearing, not just want you want to get off your chest.

Just my thoughts, anyway.

Check out my music blog: >>jus' like music
    • [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 8 août 2006, 9h02m
    Just my thoughts, anyway

good ones eitherway

• don't be biased

I have a problem with this one. When I write my journals I always see things in a positive light. For instance in my reviews I hardly ever give a negative critique. That's something I need to work on with my writing.

In other words a good journal must discuss both sides of the topic.

• Utilisateur
    • 9 août 2006, 21h11m
    Yeah, although unless you are an extremely pessimistic or negative person in general, then it's only natural to talk about things you like.

• Generally speaking, people don't waste their time writing reviews for things they feel ambivalent about. You usually either write about something you love, and just wanna rave about, or something you found so hideous, you wanna rant about it. I wanna read some middle-of-the-road reviews! Write some stuff about things you're not sure about yet, and explain why you waffle. I'm gonna try to do that, if I can... It's more challenging than it seems...

"I'm the dog that ate your birthday cake"
    • Utilisateur
    • 10 août 2006, 23h13m
    Ha ha, yeah I agree!

I've actually tried it before for my blog, not intentionally though. Realised a paragraph or two into the review that I neither love nor hate the music, so thought "ah fuck it", and just scrapped the whole thing!

• Yeah, it's hard to be objective, but those are the reviews people find the most helpful when deciding whether or not to investigate new music.

Unless of course, they already love your playlist, and decide you have good taste anyways.

"I'm the dog that ate your birthday cake"
    • Chamberk a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 11 août 2006, 17h12m

hmm

Generally I'd say that a 'real' journal entry should have a little bit of yourself in it. I mean, this group was created to get away from people mindlessly listing off favorite songs and top artists and mainstreamness. Explain why you like/dislike the music, why it affects you, rather than "omg i luv this song" and I'll read it.

• Woodshed1 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 13 août 2006, 6h23m
    I'd definitely agree that a journal should be 'informative' and 'witty' otherwise who'd want to read it. I think it should also be concise. People aren't going to sit and read a massive essay and the narrow column doesn't lend itself to lengthy discourse.

I always attempt to spel korect and use grammer good. Text speak is a definite no-no. This might just be me being pedantic.

Don't be biased
    I have to disagree with this one. If you're writing a review, you're giving an opinion. Can you be unbiased with something as subjective as music? The journals I've had the best reaction to are the ones where I've been entirely unfair (e.g. my vicious attack on poor old Sandi Thom).

• Babs_05 a dit :...
    • Modérateur
    • 5 sept. 2006, 19h31m
    I always attempt to spel korect and use grammer good. Text speak is a definite no-no. This might just be me being pedantic.

No, not pedantic at all. Txt spk is difficult to read. Incorrect spelling and poor grammar are forgivable to a degree.

I am reluctant to write huge rants on what I don't like as I don't want to put people off an artist if they like them. It's negative energy and a bit unnecessary. Unless said artist is Lily Allen, in which case you have my wholehearted support. ; ) (actually, yeah ok, you can add Sandi Thom too).

I just read a wonderful journal entry which captured my imagination:
    http://www.last.fm/user/hayden_is_a_go/journal/2006/09/5/221412/#c563676

Good story, anyway.

I have held back on writing music reviews for another reason : I don't feel confident enough in my knowledge of music to reference bands, music styles, etc. I am always hugely impressed when people write things like, 'so-and-so took their music on a journey through blues and folk with some unexpected duyster flavours'. (I have no idea what that means, I just made that up as an example).

Like for instance, I am really enjoying Easy Stars All-Stars - Radiodread album. It works for me on many levels : it is easy-listening enough to play regularly; it is complex enough to stand up to repeated close listening; it has the best version of 'Fitter Happier' I have ever heard; it takes an old familiar friend, OK Computer, and changes its clothes entirely, like seeing someone you only see in winter in summer clothes - they're the same, neither are better, both are equally as good.

Does a description like that mean anything to anyone? It's not as good as what some people might write, I know.

• Babs_05 said:

Like for instance, I am really enjoying Easy Stars All-Stars - Radiodread album. It works for me on many levels : it is easy-listening enough to play regularly; it is complex enough to stand up to repeated close listening; it has the best version of 'Fitter Happier' I have ever heard; it takes an old familiar friend, OK Computer, and changes its clothes entirely, like seeing someone you only see in winter in summer clothes - they're the same, neither are better, both are equally as good.

Does a description like that mean anything to anyone? It's not as good as what some people might write, I know.

Makes sense to me.

Looks like you have the start to a good, interesting journal right there.
    Go with it!

-Cheers

• Babs_05 a dit :...
    • Modérateur
    • 6 sept. 2006, 2h28m
    honest?? thanks! : )

• Utilisateur
    • 6 sept. 2006, 8h06m
    Yup, good stuff! Just speak (type) from the heart. Then go back and read it through a few times. That's what I do.

• The key is simply to give a shit. The only time that I ever read a journal entry and think that it's crap is when it says something like
    I heard "WaterAxe" by the Revelade nuns today, it's pretty good.
    If the writer is interested in what they're writing than I'm interested in reading it, but quite often on last.fm I find journals that seem like they were written because the user was bored. Avoid doing that and the journal should be fine. As for a "good" journal, well just follow the advice above :P

Ps: thanks for the shout-out to my journal babs!
    Pps: The quote in the middle is made up, But I think that "WaterAxe" by the Revelade nuns sounds like it would be a kickass song ;)

(This account is no longer in use. New account here; Marx)
    • KtM407 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 3 jan. 2007, 1h19m
    Have an opinion and be able to articulate your reasons for having it. Oh, and try to make it about music.

Don't list things unless you plan on talking about each. Don't answer questions no one asked you (i.e. stupid surveys.)

Be whimsical too -- I like random. But that's just me.

Ta-da! You just wrote a decent journal! Yay!

• Mantaar a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 31 mai 2008, 10h42m
    tinyswagger said:
    Generally speaking, people don't waste their time writing reviews for things they feel ambivalent about. You usually either write about something you love, and just wanna rave about, or something you found so hideous, you wanna rant about it.

I disagree. Or. At least I've written a review of Scarlett Johansson's new album I feel highly ambivalent about. I think sometimes you just start writing (well, I do) if you're not sure what to think of something - just to make it clearer. In writing you get some sort of hands-on experience about the thing. You start thinking about it. You can't just write nonsense, you have to finish a sentence, therefore you have to think about what to put in there. Sentence becomes paragraph. Paragraph becomes article. You know...

... I just find that writing about something I have no clear opinion on helps in understanding it.

blog...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 juin 2008, 3h17m
    You're never gonna please everyone.

I usually try to write very indepth (often track by track) reviews on my blog. Some people love that, but I know a lot will see this huge load of text and think "meh, no way".

With regards to Babs' comment on not feeling confident enough to review - I certainly know the feeling. I have actually shied away from reviewing my favourite albums (which seems a tad unfair to the artists!) because I simply don't think I can do them enough justice. I'm talking; Joanna Newsom - Ys, Daedelus - Denies The Day’s Demise, J Dilla - Donuts, for example...

• In my view you can't say in general if a journal should be about something you hate or love but not about things you aren't sure about. Important is the way it's presented!

And I have to tell that I like polarising topics!
    In my journals I am always biased but I respect all opinions; I am even happy about a lot of people arguing against me and trying to show me their point of view.

• Nesmasis a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 5 sept. 2008, 12h30m
    I think, for me, the only way I can write a journal if it's something I feel passionate about, either passionately against or for, as, otherwise, I cannot drum up the energy to write essentially because, as i write, I get the feeling nobody's gonna either read it, or enjoy it. But, if I put the my passion into it, then at least I can enjoy it, regardless of whether other people do. Or whether it's good. But that's almost inconsequential...

No. Not even in the face of armageddon. Never compromise.
    • Mantaar a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 5 sept. 2008, 19h30m

Write a Lot

Jeff Atwood runs one of the most [url=http://www.codinghorror.com/[/url nofollow=yes] on the Net. He was a professional software developer, but then his blog got so lucrative, he quit his day job.

He's written an interesting (short) article about how he feels that one shouldn't obsess so much over the quality of their posts, but just go ahead and produce more posts.
    His credo is: don't write when you have something to say, just stick to a schedule. When it comes to writing, write something and learn from your mistakes.
    I don't really defend this poitn of view though… it is interesting, but probably only for professional bloggers.

blog...
Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.