Chronic town

• Mymlen a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 25 août 2009, 18h21m

Chronic town

So what's your opinion on R.E.M's first EP "Chronic town"? It was released on vinyl only, but the tracks are released on Dead letter office as well.

I think it is absolutely fantastic. They were inexperienced, of course, and you can hardly hear Michael's words, and the quality is not the best.. But oh my god, those guitars. The melodies are genius too. I love the playful and and free feeling about it, but at the same time it's quite mysterious.

• johnkyle a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 7 déc. 2009, 9h38m

It's definitely spooky...

… with one greatest album covers of all time. I'm old enough to have bought all R.E.M.'s original releases on vinyl, and I nearly wore that one out (I still have it :) There's something darkly psychedelic about the jangles - Peter Buck's guitar arpeggios are almost like auditory psilocybin trails. Chronic Town culminates with one of R.E.M.'s most emblematic songs: Carnival Of Sorts (Boxcars) - infinitely deep and evocative Southern gothic mystery compressed into a haunting little pop song.

• [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 22 jan. 2010, 7h33m
    I really love this EP. I used to listen to it in loop every night.
    My faves are "Wolves, Lower" and "Stumble".

• St33rpike a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 15 mai 2011, 1h53m
    Yes, I absolutely love it. Talk about starting off strong! "Wolves, Lower" and "Stumble" are my two favorites.

• Enrique67 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 26 juin 2011, 5h15m
    This is the EP that got me hooked. I remember hearing it in the record store and being blown away by the strangely evocative feelings of the songs. I mark that day as one of those great "discoveries" we are all blessed to make a handful of times in our lives. Love "Chronic Town" from the album art to each song.

• It's incredible. It's just a little precursor to Murmur. By the way, they don't only have in on vinyl. It's on Dead Letter Office in all formats and I have an original cassette tape of Chronic Town.

• obiwanjp a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 26 jui. 2011, 0h52m
    <3

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.