What was your first progressive metal band?

• The first thing I must say is that Dream Theater's not progressive metal at all...
    The sencond, that they're my favourite band, so I know them very well to say something like that.
    Now, trying to remember a long time ago, I should say that my first prog metal band was probably Angra or Symphony X.

• Lunarsight a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 11 juin 2006, 22h23m

Re:

Quoth kidofthecentury:
    The first thing I must say is that Dream Theater's not progressive metal at all...
    The sencond, that they're my favourite band, so I know them very well to say something like that.
    Now, trying to remember a long time ago, I should say that my first prog metal band was probably Angra or Symphony X.

I think Dream Theater's more recent stuff leans away from progressive metal a bit, but their older stuff definitely qualified as prog metal, in my humble opinion.

• pixiebat a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 11 juin 2006, 22h57m

*muah
    Modifié par pixiebat le 21 déc. 2010, 0h50m
  • Re: Re:

Quoth Lunarsight:
    Quoth kidofthecentury:
    The first thing I must say is that Dream Theater's not progressive metal at all...

I think Dream Theater's more recent stuff leans away from progressive metal a bit, but their older stuff definitely qualified as prog metal, in my humble opinion.

I think exactly the opposite: works like Train of Thought are the most metal of the band, but Awake, Falling Into Infinity, Images and Words and When Dream And Day Unite are just prog rock... For me, metal's a completely different thing :P

There's nothing written about tastes...

• Lunarsight a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 11 juin 2006, 23h54m

Re: Re: Re:

Quoth kidofthecentury:
    Quoth Lunarsight:
    Quoth kidofthecentury:

I think exactly the opposite: works like Train of Thought are the most metal of the band, but Awake, Falling Into Infinity, Images and Words and When Dream And Day Unite are just prog rock... For me, metal's a completely different thing :P

I think the line between prog rock and prog metal blurs a bit - Dream Theater did do some mellow stuff, but stuff like Metropolis Pt 1 or Pull Me Under or The Mirror or Erotomania - it's very hard to call that progressive rock. Then you get to Scenes A Memory - something like Home or Dance Of Eternity definitely qualify as prog metal to me. (I think FTI was a bit more mellow - not really metal at all, for that matter. It's the parallel opposite of Train Of Thought.)

• Re: Re: Re: Re:

Quoth Lunarsight:
    Quoth kidofthecentury:
    Quoth Lunarsight:
    Quoth kidofthecentury:

I think the line between prog rock and prog metal blurs a bit - Dream Theater did do some mellow stuff, but stuff like Metropolis Pt 1 or Pull Me Under or The Mirror or Erotomania - it's very hard to call that progressive rock. Then you get to Scenes A Memory - something like Home or Dance Of Eternity definitely qualify as prog metal to me. (I think FTI was a bit more mellow - not really metal at all, for that matter. It's the parallel opposite of Train Of Thought.)

In that case, my first prog metal band was Dream Theater :P

• [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 12 juin 2006, 6h02m
    Angra of course, it rocked then and still rocks now

• Rush and DT
    after these..Opeth

• After Opeth and Dream Theater, the first band i heard in progressive sound is Andromeda with only the song "extension of the wish" (orginal). one of my friends found it and record me one copy in 2001. i fell in love with this song but we could not find any info and their album in Türkiye (Turkey in eng.)about andromeda for a while.

• Opeth were really the first band that got me into this area of music...
    But it's the Pain of Salvation - remedy lane album thats had me never look back :)

• Utilisateur
    • 14 juin 2006, 21h48m

Re:

Quoth kidofthecentury:

Erm DT are not prog? Images and Words? Scenes from a Memory? Awake? Am I noticing a trend here or am I missing something?

• Utilisateur
    • 14 juin 2006, 21h50m

Re:

Quoth Motorbreathe:
    Rush and DT
    after these..Opeth

Rush isn't really prog metal :) prog rock - definitely but not metal.

To get back to the question, the first prog metal song I listened to was A Fortune in Lis by Dream Theater.

• VikingR a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 14 juin 2006, 22h22m

Re: Re:

Quoth rodmallia:
    Quoth kidofthecentury:

Erm DT are not prog? Images and Words? Scenes from a Memory? Awake? Am I noticing a trend here or am I missing something?

I agree. DT is definitely the archetypal progressive metal band. It's quite simple really - they play metal, and their music is progressive: that makes them prog metal in my book. Furthermore, they were among the few bands that defined what prog metal is...

• Utilisateur
    • 14 juin 2006, 22h47m

Re: Re: Re:

Quoth VikingR:
    Quoth rodmallia:
    Quoth kidofthecentury:

I agree. DT is definitely the archetypal progressive metal band. It's quite simple really - they play metal, and their music is progressive: that makes them prog metal in my book. Furthermore, they were among the few bands that defined what prog metal is...

Agree.

• mvikred a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 15 juin 2006, 4h07m
    DT, then Opeth and then Rush .. i know the order is kinda wierd :P

Metal is in my BLOOD
    • mvikred a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 15 juin 2006, 4h07m

Metal is in my BLOOD
    • Utilisateur
    • 15 juin 2006, 9h37m

Re:

Quoth mvikred:

haha so you're saying I'm weird as well? :)

• khainodd a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 15 juin 2006, 11h46m
    Dream Theater too. Metropolis II was my first album.

• Re: Re:

Quoth rodmallia:
    Quoth kidofthecentury:

I was saying that DT's not metal, read the whole thread... ¬¬

• Gargravarr a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 16 juin 2006, 10h32m
    AS for me, Symphony X and Opeth were the first, but Zero Hour: Tower of Avarice is certainly the winner now.

"Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches....
    It's more like a jar of jalapenos!
    What you do today,
    Might burn your ass tomorrow!"
    • Mnemicz a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 16 juin 2006, 13h23m
    Opeth - and i completely fell in love.

but my other favorites are: Amorphis, Dream Theater and Evergrey

• Mnemicz a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 16 juin 2006, 13h26m

Re: Re:

Quoth rodmallia:
    Quoth kidofthecentury:

they ARE prog. and Angra is not prog at all. yes, they have some prog tracks. but most of it is power

• Re: Re: Re:

Quoth Mnemicz:
    Quoth rodmallia:
    Quoth kidofthecentury:

they ARE prog. and Angra is not prog at all. yes, they have some prog tracks. but most of it is power
    Hahhaaha, what a idiotic thread!! XD!! Only discussions about the music styles...
    Well, let me tell you something. All the kids listening to melodic metal call it "power metal" don't knowing a shit what power metal really is. Pantera, old Blind Guardian, Savage Circus and Persuader, Running Wild and bands like that are POWER. Heavy riffs, harsh/clean vocals (like heavy, but more "agressor" :P), blasting drums. THAT'S power metal, the bands right now ae only "melodic" metal, and that's not power at all. Angra is progressive melodic metal, you should listen to Rebirth and Temple Of Shadows, then you'll notice 'bout that.

And, please read the whole thread, I never said (neither thought) about DT's not being prog. I was saying that they're not metal... ¬¬

• Utilisateur
    • 16 juin 2006, 17h31m

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Quoth :
    And, please read the whole thread, I never said (neither thought) about DT's not being prog. I was saying that they're not metal... ¬¬

Sorry mate - you said DT were not progresive metal... obviously that can refer to DT not being progressive or metal. Didn't know which one where you referring to :) In any case, it was only a little misunderstanding about the progressive part. Still I think they're metal :P

But I guess we should really stick to the thread instead of discussing genres, subgenres and what not like what happens ad nauseam in other threads/fora. I'm compelled to think that classification of music is at times, very futile and frivolous because a band, especially the proggers definitely do not stick to one genre.

Just my two pence worth.

Peace.

• VikingR a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 16 juin 2006, 19h04m
    Haha when I tag things I put in all the adjectives that I think describe the music well.

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.