• Mark_H a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 4 mai 2012, 11h55m
    Are we saying that there are people (here?) that DON'T like Comus? *THUD*

• amatala a dit :...
    • Abonné
    • 4 mai 2012, 12h31m
    Flight123 said:
    Let's decode my use of irony: 'It is nice to see that someone is showing an interest in a band that were genuine innovators in prog rather than the bland neo-prog/prog-metal that seems to define much of the genre these days'.

Don't judge the group just by its charts... :P

• Tompox was founded in October 2008 by Tamás Pócs (Tompox) bass guitarist of Solaris.
    The band was formed because a few members of the legendary band Solaris no longer wanted to perform on stage. Tamás however felt that continuing live performance of this music is necessary. He thus created the formation “Tompox” which plays Solaris songs as well as the band’s own compositions.

The band is now debuting with their first album “Hungarian Eclectic”.

http://www.tompox.hu

• Stereokimono have released their third album "Intergalactic Art Cafè"

They are an instrumental rock trio (or “Psychophonic Oblique Rock” as they ironically love to define their music) characterized by progressive and psychedelic contamination.
    Since the group line-up became definitive in 1995, the group has released three albums so far. "Ki", "Prismosfera" and "Intergalactic Art Cafè".
    Stereokimono distinguish themselves keeping distance from codified genres.
    The ability to create sound atmospheres with an extraordinary expressive freedom not submitted to any rule, leads them immediately in developing a refined repertory with a strong emotional involvement.
    http://www.stereokimono.com

Very interesting for those who like Space Rock.

• IZZ’s new studio album, "Crush Of Night" serves as Part 2 of a 3-part series of thematic albums that began with "The Darkened Room" in 2009.
    Featuring a guest appearance by Gary Green of Gentle Giant on Words And Miracles (Electric guitar, Guitar solos and backing vocals) and The Crush Of Night (guitar solo), IZZ brings their characteristic sense of melody to the fore on this album, while at the same time fusing high reaching emotion with the driving impact that IZZ fans have come to identify with the band.

• Utilisateur
    • 7 mai 2012, 10h51m
    STORM CORROSION

Roger Waters famously proved with Music From The Body that you could record a bunch of self-indulgent fart noises and people would buy it. What Wilson and Åkerfeldt have delivered here is one long self-indulgent album-length fart. And people *will* buy it, and many will even claim to like it, but they won't really. At least Waters had the grace to put *some* tunes on his album.

After multiple frustrating listens to the stero mix, one listen to the album in surround sound and the problem becomes clear - Wilson's fixation with the multi-channel format has lead him to create an accomplished surround experience at the expense of *anything* musically interesting. And in stereo the whole effect is lost anyway resulting in a dull soundscape of endless noodling. So, if you must listen to this, at least make sure it's the 5.1 mix...

This album is so dull it's a (pointless) challenge to sit through and yet the sound is unique enough (and will doubtless be copied) that I feel that it needs it's own subgenre within Prog to classify it, which leads nicely on to the rating:

PROGZAK*

* Thanks to Adrian for this :)

Modifié par Mark_H le 7 mai 2012, 20h29m
  • Storm Corrosion - the alternative review :)

Or another way of looking at it is.....

Breathtakingly beautiful and outstanding.

I understand the noodling comment from Mark's review and maybe the fact that I am such a huge Steve Hackett fan who loves left of centre noodling helps here.

This is stunning - to my ears anyway.

Some of moment in the tracks remind me of why I love Entangled and Ripples, Mad Mad Moon and the more soundscapes moments from The Lamb. It has *that* mellotron soaked progressive rock with a gentle feel from the 70's vibe going.

Take those feels...add Blackfield without the drums, slowed down and merged with Opeth's damnation and you have kind of got where I am coming from.

The title track is beautiful. There are such lovely textures and moments in this album. What a relief for me, I can't enjoy Grace for Drowning, didn't like The incident and Opeth's last album leaves me very cold....

But my faith in Wilson is recovered.

Now there are two such radically different reviews.....I can only suggest people head for spotify and listen before buying....

For me though.....it's been about closing my eyes having no distractions and letting the headphones take me away.........

This is what I hoped GfD would be like......but more mellow, soothing without the unsettling moments and glorious ebbs and flows of mellotron, restrained guitar.

Might listen to this a lot :)

grooving with the beat box........wah wah wah :)

• Utilisateur
    • 7 mai 2012, 12h11m

Re: Storm Corrosion - the alternative review :)

skiesrblue said:
    For me though.....it's been about closing my eyes having no distractions and letting the headphones take me away.........

Doug, you *must* try to hear the 5.1 mix then... It really opens the whole sound out, making it a completely enveloping listen. I use my home cinema for surround listening, and once the lights are off it's completely and utterly black - you are blind and the only stimulus is sound. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, shout :)

• Thanks Mark - i think I will invest in that mix then....LOL...be careful there, one day you'll hear a knock on the door and I will be standing there with *every* prog 5.1 surround a sound mix I own!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• n00ah a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 9 mai 2012, 22h48m
    Is mr. wilson a human being? how can a single artist be so productive? Is he never sleeping?

I love storm corrosion. Probably I'll invest in a 5.1 sound system only because of this album... :-)

• Utilisateur
    • 10 mai 2012, 8h09m
    n00ah said:
    Is mr. wilson a human being? how can a single artist be so productive? Is he never sleeping?

He is the Prince of progressive. And he should take a lesson from Prince - his prolific nature resulted in a steady decline in quality. Less is more! Expcept in the case of Storm Corrosion, where less is most definitely less! :D

• Abonné
    • 10 mai 2012, 10h59m
    Mark_H said:
    Expcept in the case of Storm Corrosion, where less is most definitely less! :D

Indeed!
    I have tried to make myself like the album by playing it a couple more times, hoping it would be a grower... it's not...

Every subsequent listen is harder than the previous one as I cannot find enough to keep me entertained... I still haven't managed to play the whole album and give it my undivided attention... always need to find something else to do to fight the boredom...

Yes, there are a few really brilliant moments that capture my attention back, but only for a couple of minutes... until the music inescapably drifts back to the state of blandness which dominates the album...

I do agree that the melodic soundscapes can be pleasant to the ear and work well as background music, but that's all there is to it for me... I fail to grasp the great substance so many are talking about...

...maybe it's time for me to retire as understanding of what others call "modern Prog" seems to elude me more and more?... :P

• n00ah a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 10 mai 2012, 14h57m
    Mark_H said:
    He is the Prince of progressive. And he should take a lesson from Prince - his prolific nature resulted in a steady decline in quality. Less is more! Expcept in the case of Storm Corrosion, where less is most definitely less! :D

Yes, I agree. Sometimes less is more, but the last releases of Mr. Wilson are quite different. I heard Storm Corrosion yesterday the first time, midnight, close to bedtime... so maybe the chilling atmosphere of this album just found my attention to the right time. I would not call it prog. But I would call it "beautiful" :-)

• cag71 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 10 mai 2012, 19h28m
    I've been offline and out of touch for a couple of weeks after a hard disc crash. Definitely one or two new releases worth looking into, especially the new Comus album peaks my curiosity :-)

• Some more thoughts on Storm Corrosion. Had a good listen (on Spotify) so no 5.1 surround sound for me admittedly and I sort of get what they are up to - this is true progressive music. They have created something very different, challenging and left field. Its dark, brooding and full of inventive self indulgence (surely the definition of the genre we all claim to love).

While I agree its not going to get multiple plays, it sort of haunts me in the background and returning to it will peel back layers that weren't there before (maybe even more so in 5.1...)

Overall, its gets high marks from me for the audacity and inventiveness but 'enjoyable' isn't a word I would use to describe it.

Good on them for putting it out and making people go 'huh?'

Uncle Jack knows the song of the hedgerows...
    • Utilisateur
    • 11 mai 2012, 6h42m
    Oldprogger64 said:

Agreed. It does nothing for me, but kudos to them for doing what THEY want. The way of true artists.

• Abonné
    • 11 mai 2012, 8h29m
    Mark_H said:
    Oldprogger64 said:

Agreed. It does nothing for me, but kudos to them for doing what THEY want. The way of true artists.

No argument here - many artists should follow their example...

On the other hand, Wilson & Åkerfeldt are in a position where they can afford to do whatever they want - these guys could release anything and everyone will buy it (referring to everyone in the prog/metal communities, of course).
    Not everyone will like it, but they will buy it!

Unfortunately, not every artist can afford such liberty...

• [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 11 mai 2012, 9h52m
    amatala said:

Unfortunately, not every artist can afford such liberty...

And not every pensioner can afford to waste their frugal means upon it either... :-((

• Utilisateur
    • 12 mai 2012, 8h43m
    • Abonné
    • 12 mai 2012, 8h57m
    Yeah, like Univers Zéro... :P

• New Galahad - Battle Scars

Like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Abonné
    • 13 mai 2012, 7h41m
    New Eclat album, L'esprit du cercle is now available for download from Mindawn, together with several other Eclat releases:

http://mindawn.com/artists/Eclat

• Utilisateur
    • 13 mai 2012, 16h50m
    Very nice...

• Trevor Rabin released "Jacaranda",his first new solo album in two decades.
    If you're interested just because of his carreer in Yes please keep your hands away from this record!!! To me this album is very disappointing!!
    Not a single fine tune to be found on the record, just a mixture of "I want to sound like Steve Howe" versus experiences in Jazz and classic.
    So if you tinker with the idea to buy this album you should have a pre-listen before you might waste your money.

• Abonné
    • 25 mai 2012, 12h27m
    New Disconnect album Enough Blame to Go Around is now available from CDBaby:

http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Disconnect

Even if the music on their previous releases can't always be called Prog, each of the earlier albums contains some excellent tracks which I have personally enjoyed.

What I like most about the new release is the shift of focus from short, and sometimes "poppy" songs to long complex tracks with a much darker sound than before - while still displaying strong melodic elements.

I don't have a final rating yet, but the fact that I am now playing it for the third time this week means there must be something right about it.... :P

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.