What made you switch to Opera?

• [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 2 mars 2006, 7h18m

What made you switch to Opera?

If you were using a browser previously this is, if not, what made you choose Opera in the first place?

For me, a forum was messing up in Firefox, and I was getting bored of Firefox constantly crashing after I'd posted in a thread (must've crashed over 20 times before I finally decided enough was enough), a friend then said he was going to try Opera out... I'd previously tried Opera out when they first released it freely but I couldn't customise it very well (didn't know how), so switched back to Firefox. With the help of my friend this time though, I got it fully customised, and now I love it.

• Utilisateur
    • 3 mars 2006, 10h00m
    The thing I like with Opera, is the high customizable interface.
    I don't like the GUI of Firefox, especially these XUL crap.

'My own Opera' has buttons for starting some applications just as music player or messenger. I use the in-built mail client M2, too.

• MRN a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 11 mars 2006, 17h25m
    Mouse Gestures and instant "back" (backspace or right-click-hold-drag-right-release). These are the two main reasons, among others I guess :)

FireFox is actually slower and takes more RAM. Slighly, but still. Internet Explorer is dead. Even 7.0 can't repair the image they created for themself. A program that wasn't developed anymore.

• In the beginning, i just needed a little privacy, so i started using Netscape. Then it wasn't working enough well, back to IE. Crappy IE, back to Netscape. Opera pops out of thin air, and i start using that. Then again Netscape (was it Opera 6.5 that was crappy? A version like that, anyway), and finally Opera.
    Now i'm not going back for any reason, even if i still try every browser i can :-)
    Opera has things that are too comfy like mouse gestures, the fast forward, opening _blank in a tab instead of a window,a good pop up blocker, it's fast, can hold +50 tabs, i can customize it (yay!), it can look a little more Os X than other browsers, i have rss feeds, it saves the session (as far as i know, there is only Omni Web that doest that, but you must do it, it's not very good if the thing crashes :-P ).
    Bad thing, accentuated by the session restarting, is Opera slowness in opening. And there isn't a single damn browser that will import Opera's bookmarks -_-'

Mac Mini Core Solo and iBook G4 12" :-D
  • I've never been someone to only use one program to do something. I've used lots of browsers over the years, but Opera is the one I always keep. There's no one specific reason. It's more stable than other browsers for me; I like the interface and the possibilties for customization. It has features I use that some other browsrs don't. ...I guess that's about it. >_>

• DNA100 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 27 mars 2006, 13h23m
    IE sucked so hard, I just got to find something else.

• Utilisateur
    • 15 avr. 2006, 4h47m
    I'm running Linux, and Opera is one of the browsers that supported Linux already for a very long time. Netscape and later Firefox or Seamonkey don't really appeal to me, even though I could probably work with them also. But five years with Opera are a long time already...

• Shnar a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 19 avr. 2006, 10h40m

Re:

Quoth DNA100:
    IE sucked so hard, I just got to find something else.

Same.

• vaguerant a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 19 avr. 2006, 12h59m
    I got to a point where I was just entirely tired of Internet Explorer. My computer was getting on in years, and painfully slow, so after trying Firefox, I ended up with Opera somehow. I think I was specifically searching for the fastest browser I could find after tiring of my computer's lag. Opera was the perfect answer. I eventually got a new computer, but I've grown to like Opera enough to make it worth my while to keep using it.

I've got nothing to say, but it's OK.
    Vague Rant
    • Al3xF a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 19 avr. 2006, 18h02m
    Firefox's new updates started sucking. Firefox was becoming more and more like IE. Also, since it was so popular, people found ways to make it vulnerable.

After reading www.firefoxmyths.com (everyone should read that) I decided to switch to Opera for the second time( I used it a long time ago for the voice feature but never got hooked to it).

• Indyan a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 21 avr. 2006, 7h11m
    I had tried a very old version of Opera several years ago. Prolly v4 or 5.Didn't like it.So went back to Netcaptor (my default browser at that time.I never really liked ie :P ).
    But then in a mag ( Digit ) I read that Opera is the fastest browser in the market. Thats what attracted me to Opera. It was v 7.1. I have been using Opera ever since. In between I tried Avant, Fx, and Maxthon. Nothing could come close to Opera.

• l080 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 22 avr. 2006, 9h27m
    sorry 4 doublepost

• l080 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 22 avr. 2006, 9h27m
    as some said before:
    IE sucked!

and Firefox never was an alterative for me... didn't like the look... and the hipe about it!

so my first choice! (and maybe the "fastes browser in the world" thing ;))

• Aens a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 22 juin 2006, 8h50m
    I changed from Firefox to Opera because of this page mainly.

Modifié par Aens le 7 fév. 2008, 20h00m
  • IE...no words.
    Firefox...slow and badly planed, imho!
    Opera...fast, comfortable and full of useful little tricks and features. What else? ;)

• Trofo a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 26 juin 2006, 19h52m
    I discovered there were actual browsers there ;)

I wanted to try something instead IE, never liked Netscape, too complicated. And Firefox was just a beta. A friend showed me Opera and I fell in love with mouse gestures and the whole approach, nice, inovative and user friendly.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.
    • Mauz_ a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 28 juin 2006, 11h25m
    I used it the check all my own webpages would so up correctly in every browser. Then I tried it out a little. I'm so used to the custom searches and mouse gestures. Once at school I used IE again and I kept using my right mouse button for the gestures. I must have tried it 20+ times, in only a couple of minutes. :P

Opera is also fast, has a nice interface and is secure.

• HotShot! a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 30 juin 2006, 18h14m
    I was tired of IE and was looking for something new. I dislike Firefox - it has some disadvantages.

Opera is intelligent, fast and convenient!
    I like the 'Paste and go' function in the address bar.
    It saves sessions.
    It's super!

The only problem is that some sites are designed only for IE - that suxxx!

HotShot!

• Re:

Quoth HotShot!:
    I was tired of IE and was looking for something new. I dislike Firefox - it has some disadvantages.

Opera is intelligent, fast and convenient!
    I like the 'Paste and go' function in the address bar.
    It saves sessions.
    It's super!

I totally agree with you!

Quoth HotShot!:
    The only problem is that some sites are designed only for IE - that suxxx!

Mine's not: all the website I create are "best view with Opera"... :)

• kmanni a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 1 jui. 2006, 21h28m
    Well. It was in the end of the '90s. We had a dialup connection to Internet and an old computer. It simply couldn't load multiple pages with IE (3 and 4) or Netscape (4.x). With Opera (3 - 6) I could use multiple pages without slowing down the whole system.

I've been using Opera since that, now I don't have slow connection (using fibre connection) or slow PC's, but Opera is still the best choise for me.

• darius_w a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 15 jui. 2006, 15h19m
    Like many other said: IE sucks ...
    and somewhere back in time, when I got my first broadband connection, I needed a good browser, and since my uni promoted Opera, my choice was given - I have never looked back ...

After I started using Linux last year the first thing I do after a fresh install is installing Opera - maybe Firefox is a good browser, I prefer Konqueror over it, but not over Opera.

• joffeman a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 18 jui. 2006, 1h39m
    firefox is too buggy, and i am not an open-source evangelist- just a good software evangelist. i don't mind pirating software if it's the best solution either, though the opera staff deserve to get that paper. opera does all i want, and does it well, without compromising and adding weird ie features like firefox does. i dig that. the extra features [tabs & gestures, namely] are just a bonus.

• vivycakes a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 21 jui. 2006, 8h51m
    Hmm, I wouldn't have switched if it weren't free. It's the fastest browser I've used and the interface can be customized to be really clean and efficient (not clunky like Firefox).

I used Firefox but it had been getting slow & clunky. The downside to switching is some sites I frequent (like this one) don't support Opera well at all so I still have to keep Firefox. I only use IE as a last resort, since it's the worst.

• ciecho999 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 22 jui. 2006, 21h09m
    I am using opera 'til 7.54 version. I like it because simply IT ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MUZYKA PRZECIWKO TOBIE
    • Utilisateur
    • 22 jui. 2006, 21h43m
    I switched because I got bored of Firefox using on occasions 50% of my computers memory and refusing to give it back unless it was restarted. Sometimes it would sieze up and only killing the process would help. I find Opera to be much lighter on resources. I also like Opera's support of web standards as opposed to the lack of development and support you get with browsers like IE.

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.