Why isn't it all about the lyrics?

• [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 14 oct. 2009, 18h04m

Why isn't it all about the lyrics?

Personally I think I can't listen to a horrible song just because of the lyrics.

• Roxtah a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 19 oct. 2009, 19h22m
    Lyrics can make a song better, but if the sound is crappy then it's pointless.

You and I, wrong or right...

• Roxtah said:
    ...by YOUR standard. It's up to artists to decide such things for themselves. Either people like it, or they don't. Some (READ:most) people don't know or care if the lyrics are awful. Some (READ: Most) people don't know or care if the music is awful. Some people just don't care about any of it...Damn those people. >:|

Anyways, what's with people invalidating other people's subjective values? They won't stop until we have one giant monoculture...OK. OK. Another giant monoculture even more monotonous than American hegemony. Duhn duhn duhn! O_O

• Utilisateur
    • 15 déc. 2009, 20h52m
    Personally I am a total Music Lover, and I exclude 'Lyrics' from 'Music', because to me Lyrics are just Words - silent in themselves. It rather is the Melody that counts as Music, but therefore Lyrics aren't that important to me since the Melody also might come from "bucket bucket duck house blues" or whatever.
    By that I don't say Lyrics are Crap or anything, in fact there's a lot of interesting Lyrics, which might be funny, a good Statement, something that makes you think about ... etc.

But I think that People who 'overrate' Lyrics to the 'Core of Music' quite didn't understand what 'Music' really is. I dare to say that Lyrics can NOT 'save' a semi-crappy Song musically, it'd simply mean that the Listener thinking so just doesn't care (much) about the Music itself. Those may try reading Poems, Books etc. to check out what they really want.

Defining Music through Lyrics is -in my Opinion- just wrong.

Greetings,
    Therion

• Roxtah a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 18 déc. 2009, 14h06m
    LucidStrike said:
    Roxtah said:
    ...by YOUR standard. It's up to artists to decide such things for themselves.
    Of course. What eIse?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I think that good lyrics are awesome, but the main reason for me to listen to music is simply the sound of it. Again, IMO of course.

You and I, wrong or right...

• Thornspire a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 26 jan. 2010, 19h23m
    Lyrics are much easier to understand than musical structures. I guess that's the reason why the group "It's all about the lyrics" is much more populated than this one.

Modifié par Thornspire le 30 jan. 2011, 10h54m
  • Thornspire said:
    Lyrics are much easier to comprehend than musical structures.

Understanding the meaning behind lyrics is really hard for me.

• Utilisateur
    • 5 fév. 2010, 6h57m
    OLLIVERZero said:

Understanding the meaning behind lyrics is really hard for me.

I second that, unless it's dead simple to hear and to understand. (I mishear lyrics all the time).

Modifié par un utilisateur supprimé le 6 fév. 2010, 1h37m
    • JamJest444 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 6 fév. 2010, 0h54m

[spam]

[spam]

Modifié par hjbardenhagen le 26 déc. 2010, 7h04m
    • Thornspire a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 22 fév. 2010, 20h50m
    JamJest444 said:
    Lyrics are text - they belong to literature. They don't determine the value of music. The emotional value of lyrics is of different nature than the emotional value of music, though they may together work as a whole. At most times though, lyrics are obsolete (lyrics, not singing).

Exactly !

• Utilisateur
    • 8 mars 2010, 16h07m
    i think the voice is more important :D

• Mainly because I listen to so much music that is either instrumental, or in a language I don't understand. If a band has exceptionally good lyrics then I'll definitely notice and appreciate them, particularly if they're saying something that resonates with me. But it isn't necessary.

• Lurholm a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 8 avr. 2010, 11h42m
    If you define the value of music primarily by the lyrics, you exclude all instrumental music. And that doesn't seem fair to me. Or maybe that's a separate issue?

Shine those shoes, Bill!
  • Music is music, and no one cares about your opinion, cuz it's not subjective.
    (for those who believe lyrics are more important, it's just because you like them more, NOT because they ARE.)

• apfelsaft_ a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 4 juin 2010, 20h27m
    Because many (if not most) bands' lyrics could have come straight out of a 14 year old's poetry notebook and therefore aren't worth paying attention to. I would be very, very happy if all bands sung in an invented langauge á la Sigur Rós.

Having said that, there are bands whose lyrics I appreciate, an obvious example being Primus because they don't sing about the typical melodramatic crap and they're often funny. Also sometimes I look up lyrics so I can sing them in the shower. Those are my only confessions though, please don't delete me from this group. ;_;

• k_nata a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 29 août 2010, 21h09m
    because when I was like 11 I loved listening to Rammstein and damn, I'm sure I wouldn't listen to them if I understood a word from the lyrics. I would never get into Sigur Rós or any other band that uses a language other than English/Polish. also, there are some songs that have a totally irresistable melody and well, in that case I couldn't care less what the song is about.

• Boronko a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 oct. 2010, 21h37m
    Because I listen to music! It's the sound of a good song, which delivers a mood, and actually causes emotions in me. Lyrics can enhance, but never initiate this for me.
    Actually Lyrics can DESTROY it... There's this German "Fun Metal" band Knorkator, which makes music I really like. Bad thing is, the lyrics are so funny.... I can't concentrate. 0_o

• KaliYall a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 12 déc. 2010, 7h07m
    Because sometimes when I'm on my computer and browsing the interwebs (like right now) I don't even pay attention to the lyrics, rather it's all about the melody/music. And when I'm drunk I care much more about the actual music than the lyrics.

Although, of course, great lyrics can make a song that otherwise would not seem appealing become a favorite. If the song tells a great story or speaks to you in some way, it doesn't matter what it actually sounds like. Or if you're not doing anything and just listening to the music (at least for me) the lyrics become more important than they otherwise would be.

I don't know. Personally I guess it just depends on what kind of mood I'm in or what else, if anything, I'm doing while listening to music. But, definitely, it's not all about the lyrics.

• Krygskaar a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 16 déc. 2010, 17h48m
    I usually hate lyrics and voice in general. I feel that they're used in a connection between the song and the listener, something he can hold on to, and I don't like nor need that connection.

To me music is music in the purest of forms, lyrics just... don't fit in ! I don't need someone to tell me what to think about when the music plays, or what happens there and there, music is personal, you think what you think, and it can make you feel different things.

Besides, I just feel like they don't belong.

• [spam]

[spam]

Modifié par hjbardenhagen le 21 jui. 2011, 14h12m
    • Utilisateur
    • 3 jui. 2011, 18h59m
    I prefer listening to songs with lyrics but let's face the fact: the melody can be good but the lyrics can be crappy and vice versa. On the other hand I also listen to music with pleasure in a language in that I don't understand a whole damn word and in this case melody ARE the important so that is what kind of feelings induces in me.

• Utilisateur
    • 4 sept. 2011, 15h14m
    Because there's instrumental music, not all music has vocals so it doesn't need lyrics.

• Utilisateur
    • 28 sept. 2011, 11h58m

Modifié par un utilisateur supprimé le 29 sept. 2011, 21h01m
    • Utilisateur
    • 29 sept. 2011, 19h55m

• Randwer a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 11 déc. 2011, 22h52m
    Well, a lot of music I listen to, is instrumental or has vocals in a language, I don't unterstand. I enjoy it nevertheless.

They don't trust us, why should we trust them, then?
Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.