This shit is killing Hip-Hop

• It's the chicken or the egg thing ... I mean are the masses' minds molded by the media or is the media molded by the masses? 200 years ago most peoples' minds were molded by religion... now the new religion is capitalism. Could it be that people are easily manipulated? It could also be that no matter what original artform is created, millions jump on the bandwagon and make cheap imitations of it.

The thing is I realized crying about "pop" versions of things you like is useless, because "the cream always rises." A decade will always tell you who's real and who's phoney... especially when dealing with fads and pop music. The best artists are those who become famous after years of hard work... for example Three 6 Mafia have been putting out music for over a decade and after years of hard work and developing their sound, they had the treat of earning fame. Same with MCs like E-40, MF Doom... People like 50 Cent and the Game are on brink of virtual anonimity nowadays because they were overnight sensations and never developed their sound... Whatever happened to Nelly? Ja Rule? Fucking Coolio!?! (and I personally liked him!)

Crap never lasts too long. So the next time you think an artist is killing your scene because his/her simplistic and unoriginal music is representing what you love in a watered-down fashion to the masses... just take comfort in the fact that they probably won't be famous for too long. And if pop music does in fact "kill" your scene, then it wasn't strong enough and probably on its way out to begin with. I think hip hop has at least another decade in it though...

• i read up to the 1st question & said 'yes', Ja Rule is a biter & Coolio is cool, but my solace comes in the form of pop becoming a target of hate (of mine anyway), i'm glad I have something to hate b/c of pop

Real rap is down here (underground)

Take the elevator
    • S-Kayos a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 18 juin 2008, 0h57m
    I just get tired of people generalizing and banding together 2Pac and Soulja Boy in the same package... Eminem and Plies, Nas and Rick Ross? There should be no comparison.. it's annoying, but I'll get over it. Even if it is all rap, there's a big differenct between hip-pop and rap.

• I just get tired of people generalizing and banding together 2Pac and Soulja Boy in the same package... Eminem and Plies, Nas and Rick Ross? There should be no comparison.. it's annoying, but I'll get over it. Even if it is all rap, there's a big differenct between hip-pop and rap.

The only people who do this are fans of the annoying "alterna-rap" Sage Francis and Atmosphere scene... the ones who go around screaming "underground!" while their favorite artists sell millions to other skinny tight clothes wearing hipsters with scarves...
    nobody who really knows about rap/hip hop (hip hops the culture, rap is the mcing...) would make these associations... although I could really care less about Eminem or any Nas after It Was Written... but that's personal preference... I don't think they're "killing hip hop..."
    it's the fucking hipster douche bags, they're what's killing hip hop

"Rhymin' 'bout flowers 'n shit
    And poets on the mic for twenty hours 'n shit
    I'm housin' ya shit; Shuttin' ya fuckin' mic off
    Snatch ya fuckin' poetry book and then kick the dyke off
    Set the fight off, show 'em what real rap is
    Real rhymes, real beats and real clappers"

-Vinnie Paz

• truth is, there are many factors that are simultaneously killing this culture

Real rap is down here (underground)

Take the elevator
    • [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 15 jui. 2008, 16h21m
    I left the "Hip-Hop Is Dead" bandwagon long ago. Soon, I can see a "Fuck underground rap" bandwagon or something. I wish people would shut up and listen to the track. I don't mind Nelly, 50 Cent or Soulja Boy. Taste is subjective. If someone likes it, so be it. "Real Hip-Hoppers" will soon be as dumb as the stetrotypical metalheads they probably hate too much.

• KaliYall a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 19 jui. 2008, 4h59m
    Anybody who says anything is killing hip hop just doesn't get it. If you like hip hop then you like it regardless of what's going on in the "mainstream". Who the hell cares what 50 Cent and Soulja Boy or whatever his name is do. And who the hell cares what non hip hop fans think about the genre when they hear stuff like that. Just because some ignorant idiots say hip hop sucks...WHO CARES!?!?!?! I've been a hip hop fan for almost 20 years now and I've never felt like the genre is dying. Sure, right now a lot of the mainstream stuff is bad in terms of being innovative and original, but does that mean the genre is dying? Hell no. If you're into that 50 Cent and Soulja Boy kind of stuff then good for you, but I'm not. But still there are tons of hip hop artists out there making what I consider to be quality music. And there are so many different types of hip hop being made out there now it's impossible not to find something you like.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you're really a hip hop fan then you would realize that the genre isn't dead or dying. Sure, you may consider the stuff that gets played on the radio as being garbage, but since when was a genre defined by what gets played on the radio? People just need to quit it with this stupid "hip hop is dead" crap. Stop being emo. Just because quality hip hop doesn't get played on MTV doesn't mean the genre is dying.

• Utilisateur
    • 10 oct. 2008, 0h26m
    Atmosphere and Sage Francis are mad talented, you can't act like their killing anything by having their own style, what's the point of even making more rap albums if we're not expanding? You might as well call 2Pac an emo rapper.

• Utilisateur
    • 9 mai 2009, 22h43m
    50 ain't killing hiphop compared to people like soulja boy

• Good rappers who become mainstream-shit. Busta Rhymes is dead for years. I always found Eminem some kind of ok but I can't take this guy serious as he know has another marketing-beef with someone and makes worse music than before. Relapse is so hipster. x(

• Utilisateur
    • 13 nov. 2009, 8h11m
    pisze:
    50 ain't killing hiphop compared to people like soulja boy

soulja boy for myself it's a one shit wonder. i don't think he have other hot shit on the chart than Crank Dat.
    i don't think someone will remember him few years later.

• Katisdope a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 1 déc. 2009, 19h34m
    flo rida.... oh i'm sorry i can't even call him shit since he ain't even hip-hop my bad

• Another thing that is killing this genre is that the kids nowadays don't know the difference between Pop/RnB and Hip-Hop. It's not that hard to discern between singing and rhyming.

Some examples of stuff that is tagged as Hip-Hop but is not:
    Black Eyed Peas, Rihanna, The Pussycat Dolls, Justin Timberlake, Destiny's Child, Eamon, Usher, Justin Bieber(WTF), Tila Tequila,...

That's what people believe to be Hip-Hop. ಠ_ಠ

• Katisdope a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 22 déc. 2009, 17h24m
    T-t-tila tequila and black eyed peas and JUSTIN BEIBER!!?!?!?!?!?!? ohhh me soul it hurts me soul )':

• No The Artitsts Ain't Killin Hip Hop, You Kno wWho Does ? It's You, The People The So Called Fans, They Destroy It With all they're yelling whining bitchin and all that crab. And Reason Nr 2 Sure As Hell Is The Internet. Before The Internet Shit Was Different. Easy as that. People Should Shut The Fuck Up with their excuses of the state of hip hop with todays hip hop or hip pop and that bullshit. Like Some Rapper Said, It's Your Own Fault That This Shit Ain't sellin.

• young money is killing hip hop.

• Only thing thats can kill rap are murderers and mothafucking psychohaters.

• PatMaBalls a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 20 avr. 2011, 23h32m
    blah blah blah if it's got a decent beat or a decent message or you can relate to the song in some way, who cares who made the song? I'm listening to Atmosphere right now. Slug's flow ain't that great, but the lyrics are usually great and same with the beats. Immortal Technique's beats are usually beat but he definitely says some great things. Someone quoted Vinnie Paz; Vinnie Paz's lyrics remind me of ICP and yeah, ICP, how are they popular? Jedi Mind Tricks does have some great songs but usually Vinnie Paz is just garbage and because he's the voice or whatever, the song's usually garbage. Eyedea & Abilities personally are my favorite; flow is sometimes too slow, beats aren't always great, but the stuff Eyedea writes, wow. Psalm One is the only one I have nothing at all against. Lil Wayne sometimes writes clever stuff but personally, I'm not a fan. Eminem I think fell off long ago. I listen to his new stuff and that's just what it is, new stuff. Nothing special.

Necro has a decent flow usually, kind of, lyrics are sometimes good, but overall all I ever really liked was Creepy Crawl. ILL BILL IS GARBAGE! Pure trash. Great hooks, though, really. Some of the best hooks I've ever heard, rofl, but the rest, yeah I get the point, cool story, but rhyme better bro. My friend's 5 year old can do better. Slaine is real good but never got into him. 50 Cent, yeah, never heard anything but P.I.M.P. and I Smell Pussy and that tells me something; I think he sucks. Tech N9ne has some good songs, some songs suck, some songs got good beats but bad lyrics, some songs got good lyrics but bad beats. And yeah, I know, the rapper doesn't always do their own beats but why use a bad beat? Jay-Z blows. Shit, I'm the only hip-hop fan I know who thinks 2Pac and Biggie blow. My friends say it's blasphemy to think that but people like what they like. Period. All the others I failed to mention, I failed to mention them for a reason. But I'm always open to new shit otherwise yeah, I wouldn't be on here. NoClue! I forgot about him! He's aight, I guess. People like him, though.

My point is, even the stuff you actually really like, is never perfect, I guess. You, or someone else, can always find something wrong with it. Eyedea is my favorite and I wrote what's wrong with him. I don't know. Fuck You Lucy is a good song and I got lost in it. Oh, my point, which I did have in the beginning but I trailed off for no reason, hip-hop is hip-hop and stop being a dick for saying "he/she is ruining this shit". Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, Eminem, Vinnie Paz, ICP, Gucci Mane (except his song Street Niggaz, lol love it), etc, etc, I personally think are a stain on hip-hop but do I care much? No. I don't listen to them. This is why I despise the radio: only an 1/8 of what's on it -be it rock, hip-hop, metal, etc- I actually like. Don't like it? Don't listen. I don't like Family Guy anymore so I don't watch it anymore. Taste is taste. I'm not a fan of shaved cooch but whatever, people like it. I do blame the radio though for 50 Cent and Lil Wayne. Fuck the radio. Happy 4/20!

krafted with luv by monsters
Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.