Forum » General Discussion

All the cool people gone, forever?

• Odessius a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 oct. 2008, 17h05m

All the cool people gone, forever?

I have been with Last.FM for quite some time now, ever since I joined I have basically been here everyday to check or simply surf the site, but what drew me most to the website were the interesting people that Last.FM held (past-tense), I am not ranting on the new last.fm in direct but simply saying that these are some obvious things I have seen lately ...

• A lot of Old Skool members have left for good or simply do not check their profile.

• Many groups are simply inactive and just aren't "groups" anymore. Before, you joined one and checked it often and talked on it and so fourth, now you join and never check again.

• People do not talk to each other quite so often anymore unless they are known through real life. Last.FM used to be a place where you met new people and talked to a random person with your musical taste just for fun, because the community was that amazing. People didn't go on your page to simply make fun of you.

• A lot more rants, every day I see more and more negative people joining and just ranting about the new Last.FM (even if they saw little of the Old one).

I don't know for sure if this post will make any difference at all but I surely hope it touches at least 1 person out there who reads it and shares the same feeling for me. All of us in this website (Old Skool) came here to avoid the lame stuff from Myspace, facebook, myface, hi5, bebo, or whatever else you use, we don't like it there and the feeling people got in those sites we got here. Last.FM used to be a community of optimism and now for those of you who changed it have not only changed the website but you have changed the environment and the people who truly loved this place.

For those of you who care to read all of this and are new I just want to tell you that I have met so many interesting and amazing people on this site, and I hope you find some too, but for many of us who have been here through thick and thin just do not get the same feeling anymore.

Feel free to say your input for whatever it may be, and thank you for reading if you did.

complicada. .. .
    • [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 oct. 2008, 17h14m
    I've been a member for about 2 years but I only started using the forums and groups quite recently, so I don't really know what they were like previously, and until a few months ago I generally only associated with people I already knew from elsewhere.
    So I guess the exact opposite happened from my perspective, and I think the new format is far better. :D

• Odessius a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 oct. 2008, 17h21m
    Danzorz said:
    I've been a member for about 2 years but I only started using the forums and groups quite recently, so I don't really know what they were like previously, and until a few months ago I generally only associated with people I already knew from elsewhere.
    So I guess the exact opposite happened from my perspective, and I think the new format is far better. :D

I do not want them to take off the new format because that would be bad for certain people who do like them, like you, I on the other hand love the old look a lot more, so do 83% of other people on here lol but they should at least make an option to have one or the either, but that is under review and out of my topic. My topic mostly relies on the social environment of last.fm or rather the old way's it used to be.

complicada. .. .
    • joedagimp a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 oct. 2008, 17h32m
    Ive seen some really popular people leave on here because of the new last.fm

i think thats stupid, the new last.fm is much better imo, and why would you leave because a layout of a website changed...

New account - joe786

http://www.youtube.com/rocketskates93

- Drum Cover YouTube Channel
    • Jester-NL a dit :...
    • Modérateur
    • 23 oct. 2008, 17h48m
    I have seen people come and go the last few years. I joined this site when it was all small and people "scrobble-married" ;)
    I have seen the growth of trolls, and the change from audioscrobbler into Last.fm. I believe this is the fourth major overhaul I have seen...
    I did notice people leaving the last few months, some of them friends I met through here, but not all of that can be contributed to the last overhaul. Some of them had been visiting less and less the months before, let their subscription slip before the beta, and decided not to return. I have seen others do it the other way round.

I met a lot of people through this site, both virtually and in real life. I think that these changes are part of life. I have seen friendships in real life wash away too, I visit the pub far less than I used to do, I see it in other communities (with and without layout changes).

If you stay you will see that the old gang will be replaced by a newer, which in a year or two, will be the old gang in itself, and start to visit less often because their attention is drawn elsewhere.

Remember to say "thank you" for the things you haven't had
    • Z1955 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 oct. 2008, 18h04m
    I'm new here, but I think the changes you have seen probably occur on just about any given forum. I have been a member at other forums and over time the people change. New members come... old members go... the new become the old... and the cycle continues.

The secret forum last.fm doesn't want you to know about.
    (Find out what other people have already discovered.)
    • mat35 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 oct. 2008, 18h15m
    Tomorrow I will be four scrobbling year old!

People come and go, groups come and go.. some people stop posting but keep scrobbling... Some people just change their name randomly and it's only something they say or do which makes you think "hold on a second". My point being people have been leaving the site for years, people have cried uproar ever since audioscrobbler.com redirected to last.fm.... It's nothing new and the staff now best.

I was choking on a cornflake.
    You said have some toast instead.
    • maz35 a dit :...
    • Abonné
    • 23 oct. 2008, 18h25m
    I highly doubt a whole new brand of user has joined just because of a new look. Last.fm appealed to the both the music and stats geek in me and the redesign hasn't changed that one bit as far as I'm concerned.

I've been here a while and I cant say I've noticed much change at all, there's been trolls for as long as there's been forums and shoutboxes. But last.fm has become more popular over the years and with that comes an inevitable increase in such things.

• starchaos a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 oct. 2008, 19h10m
    Hell I've been wondering where everyone "talked" period. I joined multiple groups and the active ones is nothing but forum games.

I added people with common interest in music and tried to keep communication going but the shoutbox and inbox doesn't cut it; and for some reason instant messengers is as personal as a phone number now. o.O

I've been to this website at the least 3 times a day since 19 May 2007 and still haven't felt like I was in any part of a "community". The general forum is all right but it just doesn't cut it for me; there is more people trolling a band shoutbox right now then there is posting in here.

• Blindflare a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 oct. 2008, 22h36m
    mat35 said:

People come and go, groups come and go.. some people stop posting but keep scrobbling... Some people just change their name randomly and it's only something they say or do which makes you think "hold on a second". My point being people have been leaving the site for years, people have cried uproar ever since audioscrobbler.com redirected to last.fm.... It's nothing new and the staff now best.

And the day after that I shall be 3 scrobbling years old. I feel special.

Also, Last.FM is like any other community - People come and go.

• allllright a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 oct. 2008, 23h42m
    Blindflare said:
    mat35 said:

And tomorrow I will be three scrobbling days old.. I don't feel special.

hare today, goon tomorrow!
    • originalxv a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 oct. 2008, 0h25m
    allllright said:
    Blindflare said:
    mat35 said:

And tomorrow I will be three scrobbling days old.. I don't feel special.

I'll be two scrobbling days old tomorrow ;D

• Fireworkss a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 oct. 2008, 1h10m
    I definitely see where you're coming from... over the past 2 1/2 years-ish, I've been active off-and-on sporadically, posting and such for a few weeks then disappearing. And I can definitely say that many of the active members of the Last.fm community that I remember seem to be gone now. It's kind of sad :(

'Making new friends' is just fine though, I suppose.

• ok I've been here for almost 3 years, and I just feel that a negative campaign against the new look was held... I don't think that was necessary... I don't think that the spirit has changed, I just think things are not static and I'm really happy with this place, which I visit at least once a day, and which I feel mine.

• Been coming here since late 2004 (was on first account 2004-2006, second from 2006-2008) and have seen people come and go.

• Odessius said:
    • A lot of Old Skool members have left for good or simply do not check their profile.

People move on, I for one used to spend multiple hours a day online, on forums etc, but a lot has changed. So I can't keep up with all the sites I used to.
    Peoples circumstances change in time.

• People do not talk to each other quite so often anymore unless they are known through real life. Last.FM used to be a place where you met new people and talked to a random person with your musical taste just for fun, because the community was that amazing. People didn't go on your page to simply make fun of you.
    I was that were true, I had someone come and bag me profile last month.
    And because I don't use the last.fm software on my computer (i dont even have the net on it) my listened to tracks are all old.

• A lot more rants, every day I see more and more negative people joining and just ranting about the new Last.FM (even if they saw little of the Old one).
    People aren't necessarily negative people. They just see the internet as the easiest, well the only, way to vent some thoughts and ideas etc. It's the internet, not last.fm. Plus more people are starting to use the net these days, fuckin n00bs who think they are they shit. lol :p

I don't know for sure if this post will make any difference at all but I surely hope it touches at least 1 person out there who reads it and shares the same feeling for me. All of us in this website (Old Skool) came here to avoid the lame stuff from Myspace, facebook, myface, hi5, bebo, or whatever else you use, we don't like it there and the feeling people got in those sites we got here. Last.FM used to be a community of optimism and now for those of you who changed it have not only changed the website but you have changed the environment and the people who truly loved this place.
    I'm sure there are hundreds of people here that use a social networking site also.
    I have a myspace, and check it, but it's a bit old for me nowadays. Last.fm shouldnt become a social networking site like a myspace, but remain a social music based site, where you can hear new sounds, talk to others on your music interest etc.

I assume, they made the general discussion forum, to build activity on last.fm
    It's the easiest way to build activity on a site. I personally only come to last.fm regularly to check up on the General Discussion forum. And by doing so, i've made a couple new last.fm friends, found a few more artists I had never heard of. And I upstate my profile as needs be too.
    Last.fm is a great site, i'm glad it's based around music and not just networking randoms.

• Arthurrr a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 oct. 2008, 6h39m
    I'm still here!

• [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 oct. 2008, 7h58m
    lordofanywhere said:
    ok I've been here for almost 3 years, and I just feel that a negative campaign against the new look was held... I don't think that was necessary... I don't think that the spirit has changed, I just think things are not static and I'm really happy with this place, which I visit at least once a day, and which I feel mine.

I totally agree.

And just wanna say that is normal. People come and people go like on every other forum or community. It's live and it's absolutely normal. But the thing is that sometimes it's so sad.

• LilTheater a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 oct. 2008, 8h19m
    Odessius said:
    All of us in this website (Old Skool) came here to avoid the lame stuff from Myspace, facebook, myface, hi5, bebo, or whatever else you use, we don't like it there and the feeling people got in those sites we got here.

Stop that.
    For a start, I hadn't even heard of those sites when I joined Audioscrobbler wayback, so no, not "all of us"... and secondly, you're expressing your personal opinion under the guise of the "Old Skool" community, which you don't really belong to (unless you had a previous account in 2004/05)

Also, I think most of the people who mentioned or referred to the process of 'people come and people go' have missed the point. The problem is that the quality of posting and threads has dropped as people have come over time.

Modifié par LilTheater le 24 oct. 2008, 9h38m
    • LilTheater a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 oct. 2008, 8h50m
    [double post]

Modifié par LilTheater le 24 oct. 2008, 9h20m
    • iamstellar a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 oct. 2008, 8h55m
    Why in the world do people always bring up myspace. Myspace isn't lame because a lot of people on there try to win a "Who can whore out the most slutty pictures on the internet loladfodasjflo". Anyway, it started as a community for music fans to connect with bands, and get event info from bulletins. Sure, I get bored logging on, hence why I don't.

P.s There were lame people and cam whores and stupid teenagers on the internet wayyy before myspace. I know, I've been on the internet a long time. :(
    Myspace didn't start it, get over it.

Oh and if you think myspace is bad. Try to get a heroic group (randomly) on WoW. There's lots of fucktards to be ran into there. :)
    2cents.

I set myself on fire without you.
    • Jester-NL a dit :...
    • Modérateur
    • 24 oct. 2008, 10h37m
    LilTheater said:
    Also, I think most of the people who mentioned or referred to the process of 'people come and people go' have missed the point. The problem is that the quality of posting and threads has dropped as people have come over time.

I doubt that. There are still posts and threads of a high standard, and in the past there have been countless no-quality posts/threads as well. That has nothing to do with being 'Old skool' or not.
    Trolls haven't come just with the new update either, just as spam they were here well before that. What is happening is that the amount of users has been growing over the years, resulting in more people posting and the 'high quality posts/threads" of people whom you knew are less obvious because of a growing amount of "lower quality posts/threads". (Obviously, the "higher/lower"-bit is open to debate and personal interpretation...;) )

With regards to the MySpace analogue... I (personaly) think that has something to do with the length of e-penises ("look how many friends I have") and the fact that some people feel a blatant need to show of their (lack of) webspacedesign and use of colours/pictures. MySpace is not a bad community, it just hurts your eyes and results in splitting headaches if you stay too long.

Remember to say "thank you" for the things you haven't had
  • um... i think they just use Myspace as an example. If they dont like social networking sites full stop, then they are gonna bring up how gay or whatever Myspace is. It's the first that springs to mind for a lot of people. Well does to me anyway.
    I have a myspace, it's not 'bad'. I can still message people who I used to talk to a long time ago. Instead of sending e-mails people would myspace message me. I dont really give a shit... I updated it 14 months ago last time I did haha.

• starchaos a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 oct. 2008, 13h03m
    I got a habit of generalizing myspace users swell; after the amount of bulletins, and lame eye candy and little preteens using it as a dateline you can't help but NOT to.

I'm not really saying it's bad neither, the community just gives it a bad name. I used to browse around on myspace but my current computer can't handle anything but default profiles on there now, so I stick to last.fm. I did get to talk to one of the guys from moonspell once, so that's cool I guess; I really just use it to keep tabs on bands.

It's far from the little California music community thing it once was.

• yepp. I have all my fave bands added as friends so can see when they release something new like eg. Trivium released they're Down From The Sky music clip about 8 weeks ago, and I seen it on it's first day released! woo!

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.