Forum » Feedback and Ideas

November 17th site update

• acreature a dit :...
    • Alumni
    • 17 nov. 2010, 17h08m

November 17th site update

Hello!

We've just released the latest version of the Last.fm website. It's been a busy two weeks, so there's a lot of new stuff this time:

Loved Tracks Radio, Personal Tag Radio, and Playlist Radio are no longer available. As announced last month we're retiring these subscriber-only stations so we can focus on our more popular features, develop new stations, and make our music catalogue even broader. You can read a lot more about this change on the the announcement forum post.

Mix Radio is everywhere now. it's been in our mobile players and the desktop client for a few weeks now, but as of today you can find our new mix radio station from your home page or the radio page. It'll play you a combination of stuff you like already and new music, and is well worth checking out.

A new visual radio! Over the past few months we've rebuilt our visual radio from the ground up to be more reliable, more testable, give better error reporting, and have better performance. If we've done everything right you'll not see any differences – but you should find it works better. Let us know if you find any bugs, or if you have problems streaming.

Adverts in the visual radio now respect your volume settings. You know I said when there were no noticeable differences between the old and new visual radios? Well, I lied a teensy bit. The adverts in the visual radio now respect your volume control settings, so if you've got it turned all the way down you'll no longer get blasted when an ad plays. This doesn't work yet in Germany, but we're working on that.

Last.fm on the XBox now works with Kinect. If you're lucky enough to have an XBox with a Kinect you can now use a special version of the Last.fm player to listen to your radio. As well as gestures to control the player it also responds to voice commands. Everyone in the office is completely smitten with the thing – Hannah's blog post about it convinced her to buy an XBox – as are the fine folks over at Penny Arcade. Playing with it was the most magical thing I've done this year.

The new Music Manager backend is now ready for a semi-public beta. We've been working on a new backend for our Music Manager, the software that lets artists and labels manage their catalogue on Last.fm. Again, this rebuild has focused on reliability rather than new features. If you regularly upload content to Last.fm and would like to try it out, you can volunteer in this thread.

Scrobbling 2.0 is now live! We've been running a beta of our new scrobbling API for a few months, and it's finally ready for prime-time. Developers of media players or plugins should check out all the details over in our development discussion forum.

Bugfixes. We fixed 5 critical bugs, 5 normal bugs, and 29 visual radio bugs in this release.

Bonus blog post: The Office Music Democratiser. Read all about how BREAKFAST built a little bit of Last.fm into the real world.

Phew! That was a lot. We'll see you back here in two weeks for more exciting dispatches.

Modifié par acreature le 17 nov. 2010, 17h13m
    • Tecfan a dit :...
    • Event Moderator
    • 17 nov. 2010, 17h11m
    Thanks for fixing stuff :>
    Looking forward to musicmanager beta

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • Babs_05 a dit :...
    • Modérateur
    • 17 nov. 2010, 17h15m
    Thank you :)

• maz35 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 17 nov. 2010, 17h25m
    See you personal tags :(

• Cazzle a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 17 nov. 2010, 17h27m
    Still listening to My Loved Tracks currently. I shall hold on until the very end!

twitter.com/twilightxgalaxy

She said one day to leave her, sand up to her shoulders waiting for the tide to drag her to the ocean, to another sea’s shore.
    • Jonty a dit :...
    • Alumni
    • 17 nov. 2010, 17h30m
    Cazzle said:
    Still listening to My Loved Tracks currently. I shall hold on until the very end!

I vow to leave my Loved Tracks radio playing for as long as I possibly can. Let's see who can hold on the longest....

We should aim to beat these guys, who kept Halo 2 going for a MONTH after it shut down: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=43235214&postRepeater1-p=1

Modifié par Jonty le 17 nov. 2010, 17h37m
    • Utilisateur
    • 17 nov. 2010, 17h33m
    Jonty said:
    Cazzle said:

I vow to leave my Loved Tracks radio playing for as long as I possibly can. Let's see who can hold on the longest....

Haha deal. Although I'm moving house next week so my break in broadband will make you a winner :'(

She said one day to leave her, sand up to her shoulders waiting for the tide to drag her to the ocean, to another sea’s shore.
    Modifié par un utilisateur supprimé le 17 nov. 2010, 17h38m
    • Tecfan a dit :...
    • Event Moderator
    • 17 nov. 2010, 17h34m
    Mine died after 19 minutes :\

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • ben-xo a dit :...
    • Équipe Last.fm
    • 17 nov. 2010, 17h36m
    megadethnatic said:
    Ehm shouldn't the API be extended? :/
    http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Web+Services/forum/21604/_/653007

Chances are this was deployed but we forgot to update the API docs - I'll look in to it.

Check out my latest Drum'n'Bass mixes at http://www.mixcloud.com/benxo (it scrobbles)
    • Alumni
    • 17 nov. 2010, 17h38m
    megadethnatic said:

I've checked, and that update's live now too. You can now use pagination on WS calls to shoutboxes. We'll try to get the docs updated soon.

• Tecfan said:
    Mine died after 19 minutes :\

Haha I forgot all about the site changes and was just letting my Loved Radio run as I usually do every now and then…it just stopped playing (after nearly an hr. and a half) and I was like "WTF". I'm gonna miss it; it was one of the main reasons why I even subscribed (besides being able to stalk my visitors).

• Jonty a dit :...
    • Alumni
    • 17 nov. 2010, 17h51m
    Damnit, it just stopped. Spectacularly sad now :'(

• Utilisateur
    • 17 nov. 2010, 17h57m
    Jonty said:
    Damnit, it just stopped. Spectacularly sad now :'(

Me too :'(

• HodgeStar a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 17 nov. 2010, 18h23m
    I would like to say something but don't know what. thanks.

• I've been playing my Loved Tracks all day. Went to get my tea and now the station's gone :( boo hoo!

So I've switched to Mix Radio, hopefully this won't pollute my library with stuff I don't want.

I do hope that some new features will become available soon that will make my subscription worthwhile, and I'm not talking about Playground toys. For me Last.fm has been a wonderful voyage of musical discovery. Let's have a return to decent personalised radio soon, please!

• ben-xo said:
    megadethnatic said:
    http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Web+Services/forum/21604/_/653007

Chances are this was deployed but we forgot to update the API docs - I'll look in to it.

acreature said:
    megadethnatic said:

I've checked, and that update's live now too. You can now use pagination on WS calls to shoutboxes. We'll try to get the docs updated soon.

Documentation? Which real programmer needs that? ;D
    No problem. It can happen. Thank you again for this.

• Alumni
    • 17 nov. 2010, 18h40m
    One of our mods reminded me of something else new in this update: we've started serving ads known as "mid-rolls" in the visual radio every half an hour. So if you've been listening to the radio for 30 minutes, you'll get a short ad break, and then your station will resume. We're monitoring this to make sure it doesn't harm the radio experience, and we'll tweak it based on this in the coming weeks. Sorry I didn't mention this earlier.

Users in Germany might want to use their computer's volume control rather than the player's volume control as a result, at least until the German ads respect the player volume too.

• Deoradh a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 17 nov. 2010, 18h44m
    Still playing my loved tracks with the Google Chrome Extension

• CrybKeeper a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 17 nov. 2010, 19h00m
    WOW! Probably the best round of updates, I have seen in my one and half year on Lastfm! Thank you staff! Music Manager fixes are always giggley good fun!

Maybe it's finally time, to make that Powerplay campaign a bit more affordable and useful? ;-)

Aww, am just never completely satisfied :p

• okay, thanks to 'acreature' for leading me here,

but concerning personal tags/radios, i still don't quiet understand what these explanations mean:

"Coming soon: export this list"
    what for?

"(Don't worry, your list of loved tracks, your tags and your playlists haven't changed)"
    what are they good for if they don't stream?

i don't get it... does the 'export feature ' announcement mean a possibilty to listen to these personal lists again?

i don't understand why there are only riddles instead of explanations....
    this is making the paying users angry, shouldn't it be clarified?

• i hope acreature can go a bit more into detail about these... thank you

• I'm seriously, like, annoyed that the Loved Radio is gone, though. I love Last.fm; it's my favorite social network site (yes, even over Facebook, which I've been a member of since way before the craze) but I really would love to know a lot more about what's being rolled out in the Loved Radio's place. I won't request a refund 'cause I have high expectations but, as staub_faenger said in the comment above mine, I wanna see some straight explanations.

• percy74 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 17 nov. 2010, 19h37m
    staub_faenger said:
    okay, thanks to 'acreature' for leading me here,

but concerning personal tags/radios, i still don't quiet understand what these explanations mean:

"Coming soon: export this list"
    what for?

"(Don't worry, your list of loved tracks, your tags and your playlists haven't changed)"
    what are they good for if they don't stream?

i don't get it... does the 'export feature ' announcement mean a possibilty to listen to these personal lists again?

i don't understand why there are only riddles instead of explanations....
    this is making the paying users angry, shouldn't it be clarified?

It means you'll be able to download that list into a format that can be imported into another music site (as long as that site allows it) and can then play that playlist there instead.

Modifié par percy74 le 17 nov. 2010, 19h41m
    • equinoxvox a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 17 nov. 2010, 19h40m

Re: "...so we can focus on our more popular features"

Could you maybe acknowledge the preponderance of subscribers who have been telling you that you are getting rid of their favorite features by politely refraining from making this patently false claim? We understand that you probably have business reasons for removing the very features that led us to subscribe, but please don't insult us by pretending this is something you have done by popular acclaim.

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.