Forum » Feedback and Ideas

May 10th site update

• May 10th site update

Hi there,

This week’s release includes a big update to our image viewer. You can now browse through image galleries without having to reload the page. This includes a lot of exciting new tech stuff behind the scenes, and it lays some important foundations going forward. But in reality it means your pages will be faster, and you can flick through all those lovely Benga images with ease. Since we want to roll it out slowly the image reloading is only enabled in the UK and for worldwide subscribers, but everyone should see some speed improvements.

You’ll need a modern browser to take advantage of this. That means something like Chrome, Firefox or Safari, or probably your smartphone too. Our stats tell us most of you are already using one of these.

We also fixed some problems with our Music Manager, so if you had problems uploading your music it should now be fixed.

That’s it for now. Have fun and enjoy some nice music!

Edit: Sorry, it seems that this update has caused some problems *sigh*, so we had to roll it back. We will let you know when we fixed this problem.

Edit: We found the problem and re-deployed the release. Sorry about that.

• It's probably staring me right in the face but to be honest I don't see any difference between how the image viewer works today and how it worked a day earlier. Had a look at Benga's images with both Opera and Palemoon.

Is this more of a technical thing where Last.fm sends less data (kB) to the browser? I heard some websites are working to make their site 'lighter' and so more friendly for mobile users.

I can't be held responsable for whatever i say
    • DFA1979 a dit :...
    • Abonné
    • 11 mai 2012, 9h52m
    Now it just replaces the image with the next one, previously it reloaded the entire page.

If you have NoScript (or any similar script-blocking browser extension) you'll have to allow scripts for it to work (disabling scripts from last.fm and googleapis.com seemed to break it and cause it to fall back to the old way)

• Maddieman a dit :...
    • Équipe Last.fm
    • 11 mai 2012, 10h12m
    E-Clect-Eddy unfortunately the lazy loader doesn't work in Opera right now because it doesn't support CORS.

According to their development blog it's supported in Opera 12: http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2011/10/28/cors-goes-mainline
    http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/04/23/opera-12-snapshot

• I was wondering about this, too... ;-) Time for checking Firefox then, as it will take Opera at least a few more weeks to come up with a stable v12 including full hardware acceleration etc.

[Edit]
    OK, with Firefox 12 I can see the spinning circle within the image space while loading the next picture, but I'm not sure if it is really faster than loading a new page in Opera 11.64. Furthermore it does not seem to load all pictures, e.g. this one from the Gustav Mahler profile does not work:

http://www.last.fm/music/Gustav+Mahler/+images/190334

The preview of that image works though. Oops, same error (and spinning circle) in Opera 11.64.

• snyde1 a dit :...
    • Abonné
    • 12 mai 2012, 14h54m
    That image isn't on the site.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • Right, must have been in a cache for thumbnails and/or previews then, because I could still see it on the overview page. Anyhow, now it's gone for good.

Talking about browser page loading times I've found an interesting review on Tom's Hardware where they tested current browsers this April on an old Windows XP machine (like mine):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-xp-web-browser-performance,3167-6.html

It shows that Opera 11.62 is the fastest when opening an uncached page (like the next picture in an artist gallery).

• Abonné
    • 15 mai 2012, 13h58m
    hjbardenhagen said:
    It shows that Opera 11.62 is the fastest
    Doesn't that go without saying? B-)

Thanks for the pointer. That is interesting.

Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    • tburny a dit :...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 17 mai 2012, 21h43m
    A small white frame highlighting the currently viewed picture would be great :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
  • Just had another look and I think I now see the difference. Not the whole page is being reloaded but just the small(er) part that holds the image. The difference is much clear when logged-off cos than you see that the adds don't get renewed, which they would if the whole page gets reloaded, when flicking thru the images.

Even without the endorsement of Tom's Hardware for XP-machines, for the moment I'm sticking with Opera 11.64 cos the odd thing is when Opera 12 was still pre-alpha it was more stable and faster, for me, than now that it has reached beta phase. Palemoon is now my back-up whenever I encounter some error under Opera 11.

• rwitte a dit :...
    • Abonné
    • 24 mai 2012, 19h35m
    Thanks for the update.

• Was there no update this Thursday, 24th May?

• Stable Opera v12 was released yesterday, and it does load the next image in an artist gallery faster with the CORS method now. It also seems to be a bit faster with general page loads, at least on my old IBM Thinkpad.

The full hardware acceleration is still considered to be experimental though and therefore disabled on default.

• Abonné
    • 15 juin 2012, 3h50m
    Yep, new Opera now with CORS!

Does this mean that this will be fixed?

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.