Forum » Feedback and Ideas

February 23rd site update

• February 23rd site update

Hi there,

A few minutes ago we released a new version of last.fm. Here’s what’s new:

- Better location settings. For a while now, you’ve been able to set a “default location” in the Events section, to tell us which events to show you. We’ve now put that on your settings page, with all the other settings. Kind of makes sense, we thought.
    -Pictures are one of those things on last.fm everyone likes. Our old image viewer worked OK but we’ve made some design changes to make it easier to enjoy images and to browse through from one image to the next.
    - Shoutboxes are one of the features that make our pages more “interesting[13]” -- but they always looked a bit old fashioned. We did some work to make them cleaner and hopefully more usable. We hope you like it!
    - Library Pages have been improved to give you more information about the albums and tracks you’ve listened to.
    - We’ve also done lots of behind-the-scenes work to make the site faster and overcome some technical problems.
    - Business as usual: We found and fixed lots of bugs, for example in the Music Manager and user search (It actually works now, amazing!).

That’s it for today, enjoy your brand new last.fm :)

• hey, hey, Did get the feeling I was on a different website XD

is there another font in use for the shoutboxes?

Did also see the changes to the library pages, love it !

less clicking!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE

Opera 12 on XPSP3

I can't be held responsable for whatever i say
    • DFA1979 a dit :...
    • Abonné
    • 23 fév. 2012, 17h04m
    Shoutboxes look nice. Bigger font, wider line-spacing? Looks much less dense.

Displaying all albums next to tracks in library pages is good. It may get annoying for some though, unless there's a limit to how many can be displayed. From my library I can see it goes to at least 6, which might not be a great use of space. Probably not an especially common problem though. The 'Unknown album's all over the place are also a bit off-putting, and I'm pretty confused by why so many of my tracks have them because I'm careful with my tags… it seems that they dry up August/September 2008 though, maybe there was a change in the handling of album data then?

I hoped your inclusion of a [sillynumber] hinted at something that would kill those, but can't see anything like that :(

• jenny2 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 17h21m
    i don't like how instead of just the most scrobbled album, now ALL of them are listed by each track. it takes up too much space and is ugly. especially because for some reason there are a lot of "unknown albums" for me and i don't know why, because i too am careful with my tags...or there's 2 of the same albums listed because one of the tags are wrong (for example Mariah Carey - Butterfly: the correct one is listed and then one listed under "Mariah Carey (Featuring Krayzie Bone & Wish Bone)"). also i don't like how the tags for the artist aren't listed in the library anymore.

what i do like is how the album pictures at the top are displayed/how it says how many scrobbles each album has/the total number of scrobbles for the artist, and how it now tells how many different tracks you've scrobbled for the artist. (:

• Jhowkun a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 17h37m
    The album name thing on library looks pretty interesting for songs we listened from the album and the single, but the "Unknown album" destroys everything, it should be removed from albums that have tags and left only on songs without the album tag

• Love everything except the "Album" column in the library. It looks messy and highlights where I made mistakes in tagging albums years ago (and where tracks have been made available prior to an official single/album title being released). -.- And I agree that the "Unknown Album" is annoying - especially for tracks where there are already 2~3 album titles listed.

Will there be an option for it to just show the top album (like it used to) in future?

NASTY NASTY NASTY GIRLS // ROCK ROCK TO THE BEAT BEAT ALL NIGHT LONG
    GONNA GETCHUU WET WET ALL WET N' WILD // SO MAKE SOME NOISE ♫

Wet 'N Wild feat. SUITE CHIC
    Modifié par SharedUmbrella le 23 fév. 2012, 17h52m
    • ZJ345 a dit :...
    • Abonné
    • 23 fév. 2012, 17h39m
    i don't like how instead of just the most scrobbled album, now ALL of them are listed by each track. it takes up too much space and is ugly. especially because for some reason there are a lot of "unknown albums" for me and i don't know why, because i too am careful with my tags...or there's 2 of the same albums listed because one of the tags are wrong (for example Mariah Carey - Butterfly: the correct one is listed and then one listed under "Mariah Carey (Featuring Krayzie Bone & Wish Bone)"). also i don't like how the tags for the artist aren't listed in the library anymore.

what i do like is how the album pictures at the top are displayed/how it says how many scrobbles each album has/the total number of scrobbles for the artist, and how it now tells how many different tracks you've scrobbled for the artist. (:

I completely agree with all of this. Don't like all of the albums being listed next to tracks, it looks so messy, but I love the scrobble counters underneath the albums.

• mc08 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 17h45m
    DFA1979 said:
    The 'Unknown album's all over the place are also a bit off-putting, and I'm pretty confused by why so many of my tracks have them because I'm careful with my tags… it seems that they dry up August/September 2008 though, maybe there was a change in the handling of album data then?
    Yeah, I remember last.fm started generating full weekly album charts from the first week of September 2008 onwards. After that, a new page would be created every time someone scrobbled an album that previously didn’t exist on the site.

And I agree that “unknown album” should be displayed only if the track does not have any album titles listed.

• Adzin a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 17h45m
    When using the black last.fm theme user names appear as black-coloured text in the shoutbox, but using the red theme user names appear in the original blue-coloured text.

Is this intentional? I preferred the blue-coloured names, yet I use the black theme :[

"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'" - Karl Pilkington
    • dhorasoo a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 17h45m
    To tell the truth, I don't like the way library pages look now. Hate to say, but the previous outfit was more perspicuous.

As DFA1979 and others said, the 'unknown album' seems a bit repulsive, if you pardon my French. I don't think we have to be so accurate that the fact that a track with no album tag filled has been scrobbled needs to be indicated.

If I were you, I'd also stick to displaying single albums next to tracks. Now there's too much data to handle. ;-)

What I like about the new library page is replacing the row of albums at the top with the group of the most prominent ones with the number of scrobbles for a particular album. Looks neat.

What I miss/has been missed is, firstly, option to check when the track with mistagged album info was played. To clarify: I have a host of scrobbles of a track. Some are scrobbled with wrong album tag, so, these are the ones I'd like to remove. Finding those in 'recently listened tracks' wouldn't be a difficulty if the option to check the date was given. Any chances to sort it out in the near future?

and I base that on absolutely nothing.
  • SharedUmbrella said:
    Love everything except the "Album" column in the library. It looks messy and highlights where I made mistakes in tagging albums years ago (and where tracks have been made available prior to an official single/album title being released). -.- And I agree that the "Unknown Album" is annoying - especially for tracks where there are already 2~3 album titles listed.

I second that.

• dhorasoo a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 19h06m
    What I miss/has been missed is, firstly, option to check when the track with mistagged album info was played.
    damn, almost overlooked this one. just click on the track title and see what's happening. ;-) thanks. prayers answered. this IS really helpful.

and I base that on absolutely nothing.
    • [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 19h07m
    I'm not normally someone who just complains about updates to websites for the hell of it, but I'm really struggling to find anything I like. As has been said, the album column in libraries now looks awful and the 'unknown album' thing is pointless. I especially don't like how, as jenny2 said, it looks so bad where last.fm, not us, has screwed up by scrobbling albums under multiple artists (i.e. Michael Jackson, Rod Temperton;Michael Jackson;Vincent Price and Rod Temperton all coming up under my scrobbles for Thriller when they should just be for Michael Jackson). And this is more minor, but I don't like how the dates and times for a song's plays aren't aligned to the right anymore - it looks messy.

I'm genuinely really annoyed that instead of focusing on things that needed to be fixed (total play and track counts under weekly snapshots still aren't back, for example), you've being doing all this.

Modifié par un utilisateur supprimé le 23 fév. 2012, 20h03m
    • danny-777 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 19h07m
    The 'unknown album' is horrible and ruins the library pages. I agree that there should only be one album displayed per track too - people aren't usually particularly careful with album tags and where there are mistakes it can end up taking a lot of unnecessary space on the page and making it difficult to read.

• RaiseHell a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 19h11m
    To be honest, I really like the changes that have been made to the library view and the way the albums are being displayed now (including the "All albums"/"Fewer albums" feature).

I can understand how some people may think the library looks a bit "cluttered" now, but with the introduction of the new view I can see great opportunities for implementing certain features in coming site updates. The most obvious advantage of the new view is that you can spot mistagged scrobbles easily, but at the moment there isn't much you can do about it except for deleting the scrobbles affected which of course isn't really an option I'd seriously consider.

So what I'm really hoping for is that sometime in the future we will get the possibility to change/edit scrobble data. For example, you realize you scrobbled some tracks without an album tag, which will now display as "Unknown Album". It would be absolutely amazing if you could change non-existing album tags and relate those scrobbles to the proper album, or even change existing but wrong albums to the correct ones.

It's also great to see that after such a long period where virtually nothing seemed to be happening regarding site updates, the recent updates all are heading for the right direction.

• Iskra42463 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 19h24m
    Still no way to remove event location setting?

• Iskra42463 said:
    Still no way to remove event location setting?

Iskra42463 - can you tell me why you need to do that?

• sierena a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 19h39m
    Adzin said:
    When using the black last.fm theme user names appear as black-coloured text in the shoutbox, but using the red theme user names appear in the original blue-coloured text.

Is this intentional? I preferred the blue-coloured names, yet I use the black theme :[

I second that. Also, not a big fan of the new library pages, they look rather messy.

• Iskra42463 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 19h50m
    Couldtryharder said:
    Iskra42463 - can you tell me why you need to do that?

Oh, I don't *need* to remove it. But if, after having played with the event recs, someone decides they don't want their location info left on the system, the only option is to set it to somewhere they're not. That doesn't seem ideal, imho.

• Jhowkun a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 19h50m
    I would love an option to select the albums we want to show then :D

• JaqkVade a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 20h07m
    i don't like how instead of just the most scrobbled album, now ALL of them are listed by each track. it takes up too much space and is ugly. especially because for some reason there are a lot of "unknown albums" for me and i don't know why, because i too am careful with my tags... [2]

library is soo ugly now. i hope you'll back previous version.

• Hmm, i saw my shoutbox and i thought.. were the username font always black? I knew something changed. Then i saw the picture view and i was sure.
    Good job!

By the way, the library gives more about the albums i've played?
    I looks the same to me, where can i see the info about my played albums?

Seems like a nice feature! :-)

I got it, just click on # plays at an artist !
    Looks good!

• tineoidea a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 21h24m
    the fonts really need a unified design, it's all over the place.

I kinda like the changes to the library, but unknown album + 20 entries per track don't look good.

• Batiste369 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 fév. 2012, 21h25m
    Good day everyone! I just thought i'd drop by and submit praise for the Last.fm staff. I love the new site update! It's clean and refreshing. Keep up the great work:-)

• juepucta a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 fév. 2012, 0h11m
    That whole library thing... no sir, i don't like it.

-G.

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.